This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.1266 / 55°7'35"N
Longitude: -1.5031 / 1°30'11"W
OS Eastings: 431782
OS Northings: 581469
OS Grid: NZ317814
Mapcode National: GBR K9Y5.C2
Mapcode Global: WHC30.WDDQ
Entry Name: Church of St Cuthbert
Listing Date: 28 July 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1041345
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236006
Location: Blyth, Northumberland, NE24
Civil Parish: Blyth
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Blyth St Cuthbert
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
BLYTH PLESSEY ROAD
NZ 3181 SE
12/41 Church of
Parish church, 1884-93 by W.S. Hicks. Snecked tooled stone with ashlar dressings;
except for porch, oak on stone base. Lakeland slate roof. Cruciform plan with
western porch to narthex; vestries, broad unaisled nave, central tower and small
sanctuary. Free C14 style. Porch in form of lych gate in timber-framed C15
style, into flat-roofed narthex with diagonal buttresses and moulded parapet.
Slightly narrower 4-bay nave with crocketed pinnacles flanking 4-light west
window above narthex roof. Side walls with stepped buttresses and 2- or 3-light
windows. Transepts each have angle buttresses, doors on west and two 2-light
windows in each end. Tower with big diagonal buttresses at western angles and
octagonal south-east stair turret; 2-light bell openings and string with
gargoyles below stepped embattled parapet. Sanctuary with setback buttresses,
5-light east window and 2-light window on each side wall. Gables with moulded
coping; finial crosses on east and west ends. Patterned rainwater heads dated
Interior: Plastered, except for crossing and sanctuary with alternating
dressings of pink and buff stone. Crossing has semi-octagonal piers and
capitals differing in detail; smaller arches set obliquely between nave and
transepts. Nave has panelled barrel roof on carved embattled wall-plate with
cusped panels, and coved eaves; wainscoting also panelled and embattled. West
door and window in tall double-chamfered arch. Tower has wood lierne vault
with carved bosses. Sanctuary has panelled barrel roof with bosses and richly-
carved embattled wall-plate; piscina, sedilia, panelled walls. Carved stone
font with conical cover. Good late C19 glass in nave, some by Percy Bacon Bros.
of London. In narthex is entrance lobby with coffered ceiling.
Listing NGR: NZ3178281469
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings