Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6546 / 51°39'16"N
Longitude: -1.2104 / 1°12'37"W
OS Eastings: 454723
OS Northings: 195382
OS Grid: SU547953
Mapcode National: GBR 90C.6TC
Mapcode Global: VHCY7.ZN0Z
Entry Name: Clifton Hampden Bridge
Location: Clifton Hampden, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX14
District: South Oxfordshire
Parish: Clifton Hampden
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Listing Date: 18 July 1963
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 248786
Source ID: 1059815
11/1 Clifton Hampden Bridge
Bridge. c. 1864. By Sir Gilbert Scott, built by Richard Casey, for Henry Hucks
Gibbs. Red brick with random flared headers in Flemish bond. Bridge of 6 ribbed
4-centred arches with angled cut-waters between. Arches have moulded brick
surrounds. Bracketed parapet with string-course to base and moulded brick
coping. History: the bridge replaced a ford and ferry. Henry Hucks Gibbs was
Lord of the Manor. The bricks were made at Clifton Heath. Sir Gilbert Scott also
designed other buildings in the parish. This is probably the only bridge Scott
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.7, 1962, p.16-17; D. Cole, "The Works of Sir Gilbert
Scott", 1980, p.124).
Listing NGR: SU5472395382
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings