This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.1309 / 54°7'51"N
Longitude: -2.7714 / 2°46'16"W
OS Eastings: 349692
OS Northings: 470834
OS Grid: SD496708
Mapcode National: GBR 9N2N.TY
Mapcode Global: WH83V.DFJJ
Entry Name: Former signal box, north end of platform at Carnforth Station, NGR SD 49692 70834
Listing Date: 7 November 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1071920
English Heritage Legacy ID: 181825
Location: Carnforth, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA5
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Carnforth Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 18/03/2014
SW 47 SE
Former signal box, north end of platform at Carnforth Station, NGR SD 49692 70834
(Formerly listed as Former signal box, north of Carnforth Station, NGR SD 49692 70834)
(Formerly listed as Former Furness Railway signal box, adjacent to Steamtown Museum)
Signal box, opened 30th January 1882. Coursed York stone with sandstone dressings and slate roof. 2 storeys. West wall has 3 blocked chamfered windows on the ground
floor, with a corbel table above. On the 1st floor are 3 mullioned and transomed windows with pointed heads to the lights, Gables have copings, the southern one having a round decorated chimney cap on an octagonal base and a blocked shouldered opening on the ground floor. On the 1st floor is a central round decorated panel, probably once containing a clock, flanked by double chamfered windows. Above is the weathering to the station canopy which once abutted the signal box. The east wall is similar to the west wall. The north gable has a chamfered door surround on the ground floor and an 8-light mullioned and transomed window with pointed heads to the lights (2 upper lights being blank) on the 1st floor, Above is a panel with the carved coat of arms of the Cavendish family with motto 'Cavendo Tutus'. Closed 22nd October 1903.
Listing NGR: SD4969270834
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings