History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Great Hall and Quadrant Range

A Grade II* Listed Building in Edgbaston, Birmingham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4492 / 52°26'56"N

Longitude: -1.9308 / 1°55'50"W

OS Eastings: 404801

OS Northings: 283468

OS Grid: SP048834

Mapcode National: GBR 5SM.KX

Mapcode Global: VH9Z2.HP4V

Entry Name: Great Hall and Quadrant Range

Listing Date: 21 January 1970

Last Amended: 8 July 1982

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1076133

English Heritage Legacy ID: 217678

Location: Birmingham, B15

County: Birmingham

Locality: Edgbaston

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Edgbaston St Bartholomew

Church of England Diocese: Birmingham

Listing Text

UNIVERSITY ROAD
1.
5104
Edgbaston B15
Great Hall and
Quadrant Range
formerly listed as
Birmingham University
(Main Buildings)
SP 08 SW 11/4 21.1.70
II*
2.
1900-1909 by Sir Aston Webb and Ingress Bell, the D plan group main university
building of which only part were completed to the original design. The Great
Hall opposite the tower is the central axial building, to its front is a square
entrance hall with a giant round arched mullioned window, above an ornate
frieze over the loggia doorways, flanked by tapering square corner turrets
(to rear as well) which are topped by small ribbed domes. Over the hall rises
a low octagonal drum supporting a large ribbed dome and a miniature lantern.
Red brick and stone and buff terracotta dressings, but the conception is more
Byzantine than Renaissance. Behind the domed and galleried entrance hall with
ornate Renaissance grotesque relief carving, lies the Great Hall itself, a
vast tunnel vaulted space with cross vaulted
2 storey side galleries. Rich grotesque carving. Lavish stained glass by
T R Spence. The centrepiece of the hall has 2 storey quadrant links forming
the wing pavilions, 2 to the west but only one completed to the east. These
relate on a smaller 2 storey scale to the Great Hall being square on plan and
with similar ribbed domes but with round corner turrets, wings extending
behind. Flat lintelled window ranges on ground floor and large frescoed
friezes by Anning Bell below the parapets on the first floor level. The link
ranges have segmental arched windows. Modern part to east not of special interest.

Listing NGR: SP0472283539

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.