This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1189 / 51°7'7"N
Longitude: -4.1677 / 4°10'3"W
OS Eastings: 248378
OS Northings: 137743
OS Grid: SS483377
Mapcode National: GBR KL.9VBF
Mapcode Global: VH3Q7.Q41M
Entry Name: Buckland Manor
Listing Date: 25 February 1965
Last Amended: 14 November 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1107112
English Heritage Legacy ID: 98284
Location: Braunton, North Devon, Devon, EX33
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Braunton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Braunton St Brannock
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 4837-4937 BRAUNTON BRAUNTON
11/20 Buckland Manor (formerly listed
- as Buckland House)
Manor house, front range rebuilt with symmetrical facade in 1762 with 2 earlier
right angled ranges to rear forming 3 sided courtyard plan. The upper range
appears to be principally early C17 but may well incorporate earlier features. The
lower range is probably later and extended in the C18. A further large C18 wing of
3 storeys is set back and extends from right gable end of main range. Rubble and
dressed stone with slate roofs. Offset brick stack and gable-ended rubble stacks.
The 2 stacks to the upper range have inward sloping caps and crenellations at top,
of unknown date. Large lateral stack on outer side of lower right-angled range.
Main range of 2 storeys and attic storey with 4 hipped roof dormers with slated
roofs and cheeks, and 2-light casements. 7 window range of sashes, 9 panes over 9
panes. Taller sashes below. All 9 panes over 9 panes except altered left end
opening which has marginal glazing bars. Window openings have flat stone arches
with keystones. Slate sundial dated 1789 over slightly projecting porch with
Tuscan columns and plain cornice. Flanking walls finished in brick sweep up to
each gable end. That to right has doorway with glazed door and sundial over
dated 1759. Datestone of 1762 with heraldic shield and C18 rainwater head at left
gable end. C18 wing to right has slate roof at two levels. Upper level has 2 top
floor wood sashes, 3 first floor sashes all with glazing bars and tripartite sash 8
panes over 8 panes with sliding sidelight sashes with ½ glazed door to right on
ground floor. Lower end bays have 2 sashes on each floor with glazing bars.
Right-angled wing at upper end has openings with hoodmoulds and label stops
including 4-light stair window. Lower wing has axial wooden bell turret with roof
swept up to ball finials and outshuts with lean-to roofs on outer side. Principal
rooms in front range have C18 fittings intact with bolection panelling and foliated
plaster centrepieces to the ceilings. Staircase in lower right-angled range has
original staircase with original turned balusters surviving to lower flight only.
Original roof trusses with arch-braced collars and threaded purlins survive in
upper right-angled range and in the angle of its junction with the main range.
Listing NGR: SS4837837743
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings