History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Schoolhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Warkworth, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.3487 / 55°20'55"N

Longitude: -1.609 / 1°36'32"W

OS Eastings: 424895

OS Northings: 606146

OS Grid: NU248061

Mapcode National: GBR K66L.GG

Mapcode Global: WHC1T.8T2G

Entry Name: The Schoolhouse

Listing Date: 10 January 1953

Last Amended: 1 September 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1154948

English Heritage Legacy ID: 237145

Location: Warkworth, Northumberland, NE65

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Warkworth

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Warkworth St Lawrence

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Warkworth

Listing Text

NU 2406 WARKWORTH THE BUTTS
(East side)

21/254 The Schoolhouse
(formerly listed
10.1.53 as The Borough
School)
GV II

Former Borough School, dated 1736. Squared stone with cut dressings; rear
elevation concrete-faced and rendered. Pantile roof with stone slates to
eaves at rear; Welsh slates on porch; brick stacks. 2 storeys, 3 bays.
Centre top-glazed 5-panel door; sunk lintel panel with worn inscription (now
largely illegible) 'This house was built by George Lawson of Gloster Hill
who gave it to the town for a school-house, 1736'. 2-light mullioned window
above, holding 6-pane casements. End bays have 12-pane Yorkshire sashes.
All openings in chamfered block surrounds. Raised reverse-stepped gable
copings; banded right end stack, rebuilt left end stack. Small porch at left
end with renewed door. Left return shows C20 casements in old openings on
ground and 1st floors.

Historical Note: The building served as the Borough School until c.1890;
in the early C20 it served as a village meeting room.

Listing NGR: NU2489506146

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.