This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7511 / 51°45'3"N
Longitude: -1.2525 / 1°15'9"W
OS Eastings: 451695
OS Northings: 206084
OS Grid: SP516060
Mapcode National: GBR 8Z4.25C
Mapcode Global: VHCXV.77PZ
Entry Name: Merton College, Chapel, Front Quadrangle
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Listing Date: 12 January 1954
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 245012
Source ID: 1199994
Chapel (to North-West
of Front Quadrangle)
SP 5106 SE 9/480B 12.1.54.
The pre-existing church of St John Baptist served as chapel in 1274. Choir
of new chapel built 1290-24 in Wheatley stone with some from Iffley and
Cowley; contains notable stained glass of circa 1300. In 1330-35 the crossing
was built and in 1368 the South transept, the windows of this being altered
in C15. North transept, 1419-25. Bell-Tower built in 1448-51 in Headington
and Taynton stone, Robert Jannyngs being the mason until 1449. West window
is late C15. Chapel restored by Edward Blore, 1838-43 and again by Butterfield
in 1854. The whole re-faced 1970-1.
Listing NGR: SP5168006079
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings