This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4503 / 52°27'1"N
Longitude: -1.9278 / 1°55'40"W
OS Eastings: 405002
OS Northings: 283599
OS Grid: SP050835
Mapcode National: GBR 5TM.6H
Mapcode Global: VH9Z2.JNPY
Entry Name: The Barber Institute at Birmingham University
Listing Date: 19 March 1981
Last Amended: 8 July 1982
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1216784
English Heritage Legacy ID: 411449
Location: Birmingham, B15
Metropolitan District Ward: Edgbaston
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Edgbaston St Bartholomew
Church of England Diocese: Birmingham
The Barber Institute
at Birmingham University
(formerly listed under
Edgbaston Park Road)
SP 08 SW 11/49 19.3.81
SP 08 SE 12/78
1935 completed 1939, architect Robert Atkinson. Sophisticated design marrying
elements of traditional institutional classicism with Dudok inspired stone
dressed brick modern. A 2 storey compact block with shallow full height portal
wing to right hand of front. Ashlar faced ground floor and blind lst floor of
brick with flat coped roofline. The horizontal emphasis of the strip
fenestration of the ground floor is suavely combined with the vertical accent of
the slightly battered portal. The latter is complemented in small scale by
ashlar panels carved with symbols of the Arts on the first floor and reflected
by the visual stop of the larger panel at the end of return east elevation.
The banding and strip fenestration of the front follows round on to the side and
rear elevations giving a crisp linear definition to the design.
Listing NGR: SP0500283599
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings