This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3057 / 52°18'20"N
Longitude: -0.0027 / 0°0'9"W
OS Eastings: 536271
OS Northings: 269382
OS Grid: TL362693
Mapcode National: GBR K4N.D4L
Mapcode Global: VHGM5.W9XT
Entry Name: Parish Churh of St Andrew
Listing Date: 31 August 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1226375
English Heritage Legacy ID: 423488
Location: Swavesey, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB24
District: South Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Swavesey
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Swavesey St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 3668-3768 SWAVESEY STATION ROAD
(North West Side)
14/121 Parish Church of
31.8.62 St. Andrew
Parish church; C11 and C12 wall fragments and quoins of nave and
chancel of original Benedictine priory church; tower and North
aisle C13, South aisle rebuilt and chantry chapel and South
porch c.1300; chancel extended to full length of chapel and
alterations to aisle windows early C14. Nave arcade, clerestory
and roofs mid to late C15 with window tracery inserted into some
original openings. Restorations C17, early C19, and 1865 by
W.M. Fawcett, masonry said to have been used from priory ruins.
Walls of Barnack limestone and limestone rubble with brick
repairs, clunch interior details. Roofs of lead. South
elevation. Aisles extend to west face of tower; tower of four
stages with angle buttresses, embattled parapet with corner
gargoyles and pair of two cinquefoil-light belfry windows with
quatrefoil and lower late C13 Y-traceried blocked window.
Clerestory with plain parapet and six, two-light cinquefoil
windows in four-centred arches. Tall, Y-traceried aisle windows
with replaced C14 foiled transomes; chantry chapel south windows
with interlaced Y-tracery and one replaced in C15, low-side
window C14. Continuous moulded string to aisle including
buttresses. Fine South door of five continuous roll- and
fillet-moulded orders terminating in moulded bases with
scroll-moulded label, and mask and foliage stops. South porch
with two-centred arch, mask stops to label with moulded caps and
bases to inner moulded order. Rainwater heads dated 1806.
Interior. Nave arcade of six bays with slender piers continuing
as pilasters to clerestory. Chancel and tower arches early C14
of two chamfered orders with moulded caps and bases, similar
two-bay chancel arcade. Fine C14 sedilia and piscena with
foiled drain, foliate finials to ogee arches; small locker to
east and two north doors partly blocked by raised C19 floor.
South aisle clunch piscina with deeply moulded trefoiled head.
String with roll-moulding broken by insertion of 'low-side'
window, and in chantry by C15 sedilia which cuts into jamb of
original sedilia or mural monument. Roofs, C15 with braced tie
beams, moulded principals with bosses at intersections; head
corbels in chantry chapel, carved gilded angels to chancel and
C17 drop finials added to chancel roof, aisle roof with dated
tie beam 1629. Font With octagonal bowl and stem with shields
in foiled panels. C13 tomb stones in North aisle. Nineteen C15
benches, moulded ends with paterae and carved finials with
copies in 1866/7 by Rattee and Kett. Two C15 chancel stalls
with replaced seats. Monuments. Charlotte Francis 1833,
classical composition black and white marble. In South chapel
to Anne Kempe, Lady Cutt, first wife of Sir John Cutt of
Childerley 13th March 1641. Marble chest with framed, rounded
panel and two folding doors each held open by life size female
figures carrying oval shields of arms; work of Nicholas Stone
master-mason to Charles I. Poor box with three locks near South
doorway. Medieval altar stone framed in altar table C19.
Five-light restored East chapel window, memorial to Thomas
Cockayne, Lord of Manor, 1852. C19 Reredos 1866 by G.E. Street,
and memorial window to John Layer (1632) and William Cole
(1742-1782) by Francis Skeat 1967.
Cole and Layer. MSS CRO
Hill A.G. Cambridgeshire Churches p.99 1880
Andrews H. RIBA Journal. VII pp.241-2, 1900
Palmer W.M. Cambs and Hunts Arch. Soc. Vol.1
V.C.H. Vol. pp.197,315
Pevsner. Buildings of England p.468
Ravensdale J.R. History on Your Doorstep BBC 1982
Scott P. Swavesey Church and Village 1982
Listing NGR: TL3627169382
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings