History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Number 2 and Bond's Fish Shop, (Including Attached Rear Range Now an Outbuilding of the Bull Inn)

A Grade II Listed Building in Needham Market, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1551 / 52°9'18"N

Longitude: 1.0511 / 1°3'4"E

OS Eastings: 608814

OS Northings: 255145

OS Grid: TM088551

Mapcode National: GBR TLD.W0G

Mapcode Global: VHLBC.53J7

Entry Name: Number 2 and Bond's Fish Shop, (Including Attached Rear Range Now an Outbuilding of the Bull Inn)

Listing Date: 9 December 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1232023

English Heritage Legacy ID: 406983

Location: Needham Market, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Needham Market

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Needham Market with Badley St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Coddenham

Listing Text

NEEDHAM MARKET BRIDGE STREET
TM 05 NE

3/50 No.2 and Bond's Fish Shop,
(including attached rear
9.12.55 range now an outbuilding
of The Bull Inn)

II

House and fish shop, early C16 with alterations of C19. Probably built as a 2-
cell house, with integral shop beyond cross-passage, but with further original
range to rear. 2 storeys. Timber-framed and plastered, the upper floor is
long-wall jettied towards the street; C20 cable-pattern pargetting in panels.
The joist ends and chamfered bressumer are exposed; a knee beneath the jetty
to left has a buttress shaft with carved capital. Plaintiled roof with
internal end chimney of red brick. A splayed bay shop window of early C19, or
possibly C18. Mid C19 large-pane sashes. C19 glazed panelled entrance doors,
one having an oblong fanlight. A 3-bay C16 rear wing has been used as
stabling with a loft above since C19; timber-framed and weatherboarded with
plaintiled roof. The rear bay has an original upper floor with massive
joists, but the central 2-bay room has a C19 upper floor and appears formerly
to have been open up to its plain crownpost roof. The roof was damaged by
fire and partly rebuilt C20.


Listing NGR: TM0881455145

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.