History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pillar House

A Grade II Listed Building in Needham Market, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1552 / 52°9'18"N

Longitude: 1.0508 / 1°3'2"E

OS Eastings: 608791

OS Northings: 255158

OS Grid: TM087551

Mapcode National: GBR TLD.VWJ

Mapcode Global: VHLBC.53C4

Entry Name: Pillar House

Listing Date: 9 December 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1253676

English Heritage Legacy ID: 436953

Location: Needham Market, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Parish: Needham Market

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Needham Market with Badley St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Listing Text

NEEDHAM MARKET HIGH STREET (EAST)
TM 0855

3/121 No.92, (Pillar House)

9.12.55

- II

House; C14 core with complex alterations of C15 and later, and remodelling of
early C19. 2 storeys, 3 windows. Timber-framed, encased at front in early
C19 gault brick, with flat pilasters at corners and dentilled wooden cornice
at base of parapet. Slated roof at front with internal end chimneys of gault
brick. (Other roofs plaintiled). Early C19 windows with flat arches of gauged
brick, flush frames and small-pane sashes (the window in the slightly set-
forward bay over the entrance is a well-painted dummy). Good early C19
entrance doorway with Doric portico: fluted columns and pilasters support a
flat entablature with triglyph enrichment. 4 panelled entrance door recessed
between panelled reveals; oblong fanlight with border panes. A low rear wing
faces the "east" window of the Parish church; its nucleus contains an open
hall of perhaps early C14, with unusual features. The roof is heavily smoke-
encrusted and in 2 very unequal bays. At the depleted open truss is part of
an octagonal crownpost with simple capital and 4 straight square-sectioned
braces. A single-bay cell adjacent to the hall retains its roof, but both
cells are otherwise very depleted. A wing at right angles was added, perhaps
in early C15, beside the High Street. It has widely-spaced studwork with very
long tension-braces; the 2-bay solar has a complete original roof with a
massive cross-quadrate crownpost at the open truss. In mid C16 an upper floor
of roll-moulded beams and joists was inserted into the hall, with a large
fireplace in the cross-passage; a further cell was also added to the rear,
this having a blocked window in the gable with moulded mullions. A short
second rear wing was added c.1600.


Listing NGR: TM0879155158

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.