History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Imperial Buildings

A Grade II Listed Building in Boston Castle, Rotherham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4303 / 53°25'48"N

Longitude: -1.3573 / 1°21'26"W

OS Eastings: 442800

OS Northings: 392800

OS Grid: SK428928

Mapcode National: GBR LXYS.Y2

Mapcode Global: WHDDK.31YM

Entry Name: Imperial Buildings

Listing Date: 16 March 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1261735

English Heritage Legacy ID: 382396

Location: Rotherham, S60

County: Rotherham

Metropolitan District Ward: Boston Castle

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Rotherham

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Rotherham

Listing Text

The following shall be added:
SK 49 SW HIGH STREET
(west side)
9/61 Imperial Buildings
GV II
Shop and office building with internal shopping arcade. 1907. In the Jacobean
Revival style. Red brick with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs and 16 ornate
brick stacks. Eastern, High Street, front 3-storey, 5-bay central section,
flanked by curved tripartite bays with to the north 2 bays and to the south
1 1/2 bays. Central doorway to offices above, with flanking marble pilasters
supporting brackets and a segmental arched hood, topped by a balustrade with
finials, tympanum below inscribed 'IMPERIAL BUILDINGS AD 1907'. Either side
are shops divided by tall marble pilasters, ,some shops such as Brooks and
Brooks, and Victoria Wine retain almost complete Edwardian shopfronts. Above
both floors are articulated with pairs of Doric pilasters supporting an
entablature, and topped by a parapet. The first floor has tripartite windows
with small pediments. The top floor has tripartite windows with segment headed
moulded surrounds with keystones, and blind balustrades below. The final bay
on each end is topped by a broken curved pediment with finials and an obelisk.
The remaining fronts are 2-storey. The 5-bay, west front, has a central arcade
entrance flanked by 2 shops, with dividing marble pilasters, and then
tripartite curved corner bays, each a single shop. The 4-bay, north and south
fronts each have 2 shops, an arcade entrance and a further shop beyond. Almost
all these shops retain their Edwardian shopfronts. Above, these 3 fronts are
articulated with pairs of Doric pilasters, with between tripartite windows in
segment headed moulded surrounds with keystones. The curved corners are topped
with ornate gables, and the arcade entrances are topped by pediments, linked
together by an arcaded balustrade with ball finials. The internal arcade has
a glazed iron roof, and shopfronts topped by curved pediments, plus a central
wooden kiosk also topped with curved pediments, an open arcade and ball
finials.


Listing NGR: SK4280092800

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.