This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9625 / 52°57'45"N
Longitude: -0.856 / 0°51'21"W
OS Eastings: 476940
OS Northings: 341185
OS Grid: SK769411
Mapcode National: GBR BLM.6FK
Mapcode Global: WHFJ1.TSLQ
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 1 December 1965
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1272710
English Heritage Legacy ID: 448143
Location: Orston, Rushcliffe, Nottinghamshire, NG13
Civil Parish: Orston
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Orston
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
ORSTON CHURCH STREET
SK 74 SE
5/117 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. C13, C14, C15, tower 1766. Restored 1889. Nave
and north aisle restored 1914. Coursed and squared rubble,
dressed stone and ashlar. Ashlar dressings. Plain tile gabled
and lead lean-to roofs. West tower, nave, north and south aisles,
chancel, south porch. West tower, 1766, has chamfered plinth and
projecting quoins. All openings have round heads with projecting
architraves, imposts and keystones. North and south sides have
each a single window and above it, keystoned round window. South
side has clock above round window. West side has panelled door.
To its right, inscription "TL TB". Above, datestone inscribed
"Jno Kettleborrow/Thos Taylor/Churchwardens 1766." Above, again,
on each side, a bell opening. Return angle to north has late C20
lean-to outbuilding. Nave clerestory, C15, 3 bays, has coved
eaves and crenellated parapet. North side has late C20 side wall
stack and 3 triple mullioned leaded casements with square heads.
South side has 3 similar windows, restored. North aisle, C14, 3
bays, has chamfered plinth, moulded sill band, coved eaves and
coped gables, one with cross. North side has 2 buttresses and 2
pairs of corner buttresses, 2 setoffs. To east, 2 triple lancets
with unusual Decorated tracery, restored, with hood moulds and
mask stops. East and west ends have each a triple lancet, early
C14, with unusual geometrical tracery, hood mould and mask stops.
South aisle, C15, 3 bays, has chamfered and moulded plinth, sill
band, coved eaves, moulded coped gables and crenellated parapet.
2 pairs of corner buttresses, and 2 intermediate buttresses, 2
setoffs. Buttress to east has incised sundial. To right of south
porch, 2 triple lancets with unusual Decorated tracery, restored,
with hood moulds and mask stops. East end has much restored late
C15 triple lancet with cusped round heads and panel tracery. West
end has a similar triple lancet with cusped ogee heads and
transomed panel tracery. Both have hood moulds and mask stops.
Chancel, C13, 4 bays, has chamfered and moulded plinth, sill band,
and coped gable with cross. North side has 3 splayed C13 lancets.
East end has a pair of flanking corner buttresses, 2 setoffs, and
3 grouped chamfered lancets. South side has to west, C13 style
double lancet and to its right, C19 doorway in matching style. To
right again, 3 C13 lancets similar to north side. All openings
have hood moulds. South porch, late C19, in C13 style, has a pair
of diagonal buttresses and coped gable with kneelers and cross.
Moulded doorway with hood mould and stops. Flanked by single
gabled head shoe scrapers. Each side has a mullioned 2 light
leaded casement. Interior has 2 wooden benches and principal
rafter roof with collars. Inner south door, late C13, with
double cove moulding and rebate, has hood mould and mask stops.
Pair of late C19 doors. Tower has keystoned round headed doorway
with beaded plank door. Tower chamber contains C18 cleft ladder.
Nave north arcade, 3 bays, early C13, has 2 round piers and
responds with octagonal plinths, moulded round bases and
octagonal capitals. Keeled roll moulded round arches and
archivolt, hood mould and a mask stop. South arcade, later C13,
has a round and an octagonal pier with round responds. Square
plinths, moulded round bases and capitals. Octagonal pier has
octagonal base. Chamfered and rebated round arches with hood
moulds. C15 roof with cambered tie beams, carved bosses, moulded
ridge and purlins. Short wooden wall shafts with carved feet on
moulded corbels, carrying straight struts. North aisle has
moulded sill band and leaded windows with coved reveals.
Elaborate C14 roof with, to west, 2 pairs moulded arch braces
with bosses, wall shafts and scissor bracing in spandrels. East
end has chamfered span beams, purlin with nailhead, and 3 pairs
of wall shafts with struts. South aisle has moulded sill band
and windows with coved reveals. South side has to east, restored
C13 moulded crocketed aumbry with corbelled piscina. C19 lean-to
roof with arch braces with pierced spandrels. Chancel arch, C13,
round headed, chamfered and rebated, with uncarved imposts.
South side has to east, rebated C13 aumbry, C19 matchboarded
scissor braced roof with 2 C15 chamfered span beams. Fittings
include font, with C14 square plinth, moulded octagonal base and
stem, and octagonal bowl with round headed arcaded panels
containing angels' heads, rose, vase of tulips and inscription
"Given by Mrs. Constantia Kerchevall Feb:7 1662". C19 cover.
Large brass eagle lectern, pierced traceried panelled oak pulpit,
moulded panelled oak choir stalls and desks, all C19. Moulded
altar rail with ivy leaf iron brackets, linked chairs, C19. 4
late C18 benches with arm rests and flat round finials. Mid C20
panelled benches. Fragment of C15 traceried oak panel. C17
plank chest. C18 panelled chest. Military drum c.1815. 6 late
C19 wrought iron pendant lamps. 2 late C19 pendant oil lamps.
Monuments include life size C14 female effigy. Royal Arms
(George III) 1786. 2 painted commandment boards and 2 similar
boards with Lord's Prayer and Creed, all late C18. Slate tablet
to Rev. J. Fell, 1804, signed "Wood". Alabaster war memorial
tablet with military badges, c.1919. Brass referring to War
Memorial clock, 1918. Small incised stone tablet. In porch,
scrolled head tablet with angel to Eleanor Kirchevall, (sic)
1695. Slate tablet to John Kerchevall, 1721.
Listing NGR: SK7693641186
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 24 January 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings