This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.837 / 54°50'13"N
Longitude: -1.3367 / 1°20'12"W
OS Eastings: 442700
OS Northings: 549334
OS Grid: NZ427493
Mapcode National: GBR MD3H.DV
Mapcode Global: WHD5L.FPP7
Entry Name: Church of St John the Evangelist
Listing Date: 21 June 1950
Last Amended: 14 February 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1277262
English Heritage Legacy ID: 407350
Location: Seaham, County Durham, SR7
County: County Durham
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Seaham Harbour and Dawdon
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ 44 NW SEAHAM BLANDFORD PLACE
4/27 Church of St. John the
21.6.50 (Formerly listed as
II St. John's
Parish church. 1835-40 by Thomas Prosser, north aisle added 1860, choir and vicar's
vestries added by R.J.Johnson in 1885-6. Dressed limestone with sandstone dressings
and moderate-pitched graduated Welsh slate roofs. West tower, aisleless nave and
chancel, north aisle, north choir and vicar's vestries. Perpendicular style. Windows
have mainly rectilinear tracery with trefoil-headed lights, chamfered reveals,
hoodmoulds and alternating jambs.
2-stage west tower has chamfered plinth and diagonal buttresses; doorway in south
wall under 4-centred-arched head; 3-light ground-floor window in west wall; belfry
stage above string course has four louvred openings of 2 lights with pointed heads
partly hidden by clock faces; slightly projecting battlemented parapet with corner
pinnacles. South wall of wide 3-bay nave has chamfered plinth and diagonally-
buttressed corners with 2 stepped buttresses between bays; 2-light square-headed
windows; low parapet with chamfered and roll-moulded coping. Canted porch in south
wall at junction of nave and chancel has doorway with pointed-arched head and small
lancet above. Lower and narrower 2-bay chancel with chamfered plinth and low parapet
has two 2-light windows, set high in south wall, with square heads and a stepped
buttress between; diagonally-buttressed east end has tall 3-light window with
pointed head and string courses above and below. Single-storey, gabled vicar's
vestry attached to north of chancel has low 4-light window with square head.
2-storey choir vestry has similar fenestration and door under pointed-arched head.
Tall, 4-bay north aisle has double-chamfered plinth, chamfered sill band and four
2-light windows with square heads; gabled returns have chamfered coping and kneelers;
Interior: Nave has first floor gallery at west end and 3 ranks of C19 pews; panelled
roof; north aisle arcade has 4 double-chamfered pointed arches on circular piers.
Chancel: 2 steps up to 4-centred, hollow-chamfered chancel arch; roof has 4
hammerbeam trusses with cambered collars. Elaborate stucco and marble monument to
3rd. Marquess of Londonderry, died 1854, has Gothick details and stands against
south wall of chancel.
Late C20 addition to north of tower not of special interest.
Listing NGR: NZ4270049334
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings