History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Kington Magna, Dorset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0071 / 51°0'25"N

Longitude: -2.3318 / 2°19'54"W

OS Eastings: 376814

OS Northings: 123135

OS Grid: ST768231

Mapcode National: GBR 0VZ.Z3X

Mapcode Global: FRA 660G.1CT

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 16 August 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1324579

English Heritage Legacy ID: 103012

Location: Kington Magna, North Dorset, Dorset, SP8

County: Dorset

District: North Dorset

Civil Parish: Kington Magna

Traditional County: Dorset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Kington Magna All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Buckhorn Weston

Listing Text

ST 72 SE KINGTON MAGNA CHURCH HILL

6/173 Church of All Saints
16.8.60.
GV II*

Parish church, late C15 tower, remainder rebuilt in 1862. C19 work by
Charles Turner of Southampton. Coursed rubble and coursed squared
rubble with ashlar dressings. Gable-ended, tiled roofs with stone
copings. Plan: nave, chancel, north and south aisles, west tower and
north vestry. Tower is largely in the 'Perpendicular' style, whilst
the C19 work is mainly 'Decorated'. West tower: 3 stage with weathered
strings, embattled parapet and diagonal buttresses; rectangular vice;
west door is moulded with 4-centred head and stopped label; C19 west
window of 3-lights with reticulated tracery under 2-centred head with
stopped label; second stage south wall has a single cusped light; bell
stage has 2-light, 2-centred 'Perpendicular' windows with stopped
labels. North aisle: 2-light square headed north windows possibly in
part-medieval and reset; west door is moulded and 2-centred with jambs
and a label with head stops; west window of 3-lights under 2-centred
head. South aisles: south windows of 2-lights with curvilinear tracery
under 2-centred heads; west window similar; east window of 3-lights with
reticulated tracery under a 2-centred head with returned labels
(possibly partly medieval, reset). East chancel window is 2-centred,
of 3-lights with reticulated tracery and label with head stops. Gabled
south porch with 2-centred moulded arch. Interior: 2-bay, 2-centred
arcades on piers with 4 shafts separated by hollow chamfers, moulded
capitals and bases; moulded, semi-circular chancel arch with flat jambs
with capitals; 2-centred, moulded tower arch dying into flat jambs;
C19 arch-braced collar truss roofs; C14 trefoiled piscina reset in south
aisle; probably C19 font with round bowl on cylindrical shaft; C19 pews
some with linenfold carved panels; monument to John Dowding 1747 in
tower.
(RCHM, Dorset, vol IV, p 41/2, no 1. Newman J and Pevsner N, The
Buildings of England: Dorset, Penguin, 1972, p 249).


Listing NGR: ST7681423135

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.