This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7768 / 50°46'36"N
Longitude: -3.525 / 3°31'30"W
OS Eastings: 292571
OS Northings: 98580
OS Grid: SX925985
Mapcode National: GBR P1.5FHG
Mapcode Global: FRA 37H1.BHH
Entry Name: Homeliving
Listing Date: 11 November 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1333977
English Heritage Legacy ID: 86063
Location: Brampford Speke, East Devon, Devon, EX5
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Brampford Speke
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Brampford Speke
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 99 NW
Farmhouse, now sub-divided. Early-C16 with later alterations. Cob, rendered, on
stone plinth, thatched gabled-end roof. Originally 3-room, through passage plan.
2 storeys throughout. 4-window range. 2 front entrances, the left-hand one under
thatched porch. 2 of the upper windows break eaves line. C19 casements above and
10-pane sashes below. Irregular ridge line, the left-hand side much higher and at
no point horizontal, the right-hand side more regular. Jointed cruck truss, side
pegged to collar and at apex, closed above collar with plastered, smoke blackened
sides. Above this and extending along the length of the house is a 3-bay smoke
blackened roof with principals, purlins and rafters; the rafters above the hall are
square, the remainder are flat. Left-hand end stack. Large C20 wing at rear.
Fragment of former plaster ceiling panel above left-hand upper window. Original
entrance, now blocked, lay between the 2 present entrances, the lower end to the
right, the 2 higher rooms to the left. Room to left of former passage (hall) with
various fragments of former plaster ceiling, one with royal arms and letters 'CR'
dated 1663, plus 2 other panels with formal tree designs. Fireplace, stone jambs
with ovolo moulding and filler, replaced wooden lintels; oven entrance to right. 1
heavily chamfered beam with bar stops. Left-hand end room (inner chamber): 2 main
beams, cyma reversa mouldings with filler and step stops. Fireplace, stone jambs
and wooden lintel both with ovolo mouldings, jambs with ball and step stop, lintel
with step stop. Plaster panel with diamond, circle and V-shaped decorative motifs.
Evidence of former screen between these rooms. Upstairs room above hall; jointed
crucks, side pegged to collar and 1 exposed purlin. Further plaster fragments.
Left-hand end room (above inner chamber); fireplace, stone jambs, ovolo mouldings,
lintel with step stops. Purlin with ovolo moulding. This room retains its plaster
ceiling; inner and outer connected squares with double-moulded ribs, with floral
motifs set diagonally from all angles, mostly roses and thistles, with a central
Listing NGR: SX9263498527
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings