Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9178 / 51°55'4"N
Longitude: -2.1969 / 2°11'48"W
OS Eastings: 386554
OS Northings: 224379
OS Grid: SO865243
Mapcode National: GBR 1KG.PDW
Mapcode Global: VH945.V2Y5
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Location: Norton, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL2
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Listing Date: 10 January 1955
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 134229
Source ID: 1340308
SO 82 SE NORTON PRIOR'S NORTON
Church of St. Mary
Anglican parish church. C13 chancel, Decorated features in nave,
Perpendicular west tower, restoration by Waller and Christian 1875-
6. Chancel: blue lias with limestone buttresses. Vestry: blue
lias. Nave: blue lias. Tower: limestone. Porch: timber-framed
with brick infill. Red tile and stone slate roof. Plan: nave with
porch projecting from centre of south front; chancel with C19
vestry on north; west tower with projecting stair vice at north-
east corner. Chancel with clamp buttresses. South wall; C19 plank
priest's door with flat-chamfered pointed surround. Single light
left expanded out either side to form triangular spandrels.
Monument set in wall right of door to Robert Marston, died 1708,
sandstone, heraldic shield at top flanked by faces of winged
cherubs, swags either side, skull and cross-bones at bottom. Two-
light window right with trefoil-headed lights. Early English east
window (restored); 2 trefoil-headed lights flanked by engaged
columns, engaged columns at centre, quatrefoil set in roundel at
top. North wall of vestry: C19 two-light window with relieving
arch, C19 plank door within shouldered surround in right-hand wall.
Single light with trefoil-head far right. Nave north wall: two
pointed 2-light windows with trefoil-headed lights-and quatrefoils,
right-hand window C19, left hand window partly restored. Central
plank south door within Decorated cinquefoil-headed cusped
surround. Three stage tower with diagonal buttresses. Plinth with
moulded capping. Strings between stages. C19 double door in west
face, within hollow-moulded surround, hollow-moulded hood with
eroded stops. Three-light window above with Perpendicular tracery
(restored) and hood with scroll-ended stops, 2-light-belfry windows
to third stage with cusped heads and hoods with geometric stops,
large winged angel stops to hood over north facing window., carved
stone face with open mouth incorporated in lower string course.
Two-light window with trefoil-headed ogee cusping in-rectangular
surround, lighting second stage on south side. Battlemented
parapet, moulded string below with gargoyles, offset from corners,
one of skirted man playing musical instrument. Nave south wall:
single clamp buttress far right with sundial with metal gnomon far
right. Two pointed windows with cinquefoil headed lights and
Perpendicular tracery either side of porch, tracery and hood over
right-hand window original, left- hand window C19. Gabled C19-C20
timber-framed porch with central double plank doors, single frosted
lights either side, stone roundel with foliate carving towards apex
of gable above. C19 plank door with strap hinges within Decorated
cinquefoil-headed ogee cusped surround as on north.
Interior: nave with north and south doorways in opposition, tall
C14 double-chamfered pointed arch to tower, two corbels against
west wall of nave with painted stencilled decoration depicting
flowers within crown. Early plank door with cover strips within
flat-chamfered 4-centred arched doorway from tower to stair vice.
Trefoil-headed ogee cusped piscina left of pulpit. Asymmetrical
double-chamfered pointed chancel arch, probably C14. Chancel:
C19 pointed arch from chancel to vestry. Priest's door in south
wall. C19, four and a half bay arch-braced roof with brattished
tie and octagonal king post to nave. C19 roof to chancel with 7
facets. Plain tiled floor in nave, some decorative encaustic
tiling within chancel and sanctuary.
Fittings: octagonal stone font on octagonal base (adjacent to
south door). C19 wooden octagonal pulpit in north-east corner of
nave. C19 carved wooden lectern in form of angel on opposite side
of nave. Chancel: C19 railing between nave and chancel and nave
and sanctuary, with painted cast iron foliate supports. Monuments
nave north wall: Richard Browne, died 1636 and his son, also
Richard, died 1715; limestone frame with decorative scrollwork,
heraldic shield at top, lion's head and angel head decoration.
Nave south wall: white on black marble monument to Richard Butt,
died 1848. Eroded slate stone ledger with heraldic shield at top
within tower. (D. Verey, The Buildings of England, Gloucestershire:
The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1980).
Listing NGR: SO8655424379
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings