This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4496 / 53°26'58"N
Longitude: -2.7734 / 2°46'24"W
OS Eastings: 348732
OS Northings: 395036
OS Grid: SJ487950
Mapcode National: GBR 9X2K.C4
Mapcode Global: WH874.CKKB
Entry Name: Eccleston Hall
Listing Date: 28 February 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1392654
English Heritage Legacy ID: 505587
Location: St. Helens, WA10
County: St. Helens
Metropolitan District Ward: Eccleston
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside
Church of England Parish: Eccleston Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
SJ 49 SE ECCLESTON HOLME ROAD
7/102 ECCLESTON HALL
Hospital administration building, formerly the house of Samuel Taylor, a cotton manufacturer. Probably early 1830s: (the old house was pulled down in 1824; Eccleston Church (q.v.) was also built by Taylor, in 1838). Sandstone ashlar; Welsh slate hipped roof. Plan: entrance and vestibule to E, with central stair-hall; principal rooms to S (overlooking garden), other private rooms to N: 2 rear wings, one (NW) containing services, the other (SW) possibly containing billiards room, the latter the only single-storeyed part of the otherwise 2-storeyed building. Exterior: Entrance front (glazed veranda now removed), 3 bays, the centre bay recessed (tripartite sash window with glazing bars) above entrance flush with side bays, the plain entablature supported by 2 Greek Doric columns. One first floor 12-pane hornless sash window only to each side bay. Deeply overhanging eaves throughout. S (garden) elevation: 1:3:1; the centre bays projecting as a shallow curved wing: 12-pane sashes in reveals to first floor; tripartite garden doors; glazed, to side bays; double French windows to centre bays, slightly recessed with 4 Greek Doric attached columns. A single-storeyed 3-window range (probably a billiards room) forms part of this front; 2-light windows with moulded surrounds and lintels on console brackets. N elevation, plain with sash windows. Service wing, sash and casement windows under hood moulds. Interior: marble fireplaces, plaster cornices, moulded door surrounds throughout; stair with stick balusters; stair hall lit by 2 large round-headed windows. Victorian fireplace to vestibule.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings