This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.6973 / 54°41'50"N
Longitude: -1.6825 / 1°40'57"W
OS Eastings: 420560
OS Northings: 533630
OS Grid: NZ205336
Mapcode National: GBR JGP3.JY
Mapcode Global: WHC52.462B
Entry Name: Newfield War Memorial
Location: County Durham, DL14
County: County Durham
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Listing Date: 2 December 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1439525
First World War memorial, 1922, with later additions for the Second World War.
The memorial stands in the northern part of the Recreation Ground in Newfield, close to the fingerpost and Newfield Farmhouse (both Grade II). It takes the form of a pillar, made of grey granite and c3.5m tall. Standing on a two-stepped base, square on plan, the pillar dies back in stages to the corniced cap. The uppermost stage is ornamented with a wreath carved in relief to the front and rear.
The principal dedicatory inscription to the front face of the memorial reads 1914-1918/ ERECTED/ IN GRATEFUL REMEMBRANCE OF/ THE MEN WHOSE NAMES ARE INSCRIBED/ ON THIS STONE WHO GAVE THEIR/ LIVES IN DEFENCE OF THEIR COUNTRY/ DURING THE GREAT WAR/ 1914-1918/ (NAMES)/ GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN/ THIS, THAT A MAN LAY DOWN HIS/ LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS. To the east side the Second World War inscription reads 1939 – 1945/ NAMES).
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Newfield as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
Newfield was the small pit village for Newfield Colliery, opened in 1841, and also served the nearby brickworks. The war memorial was unveiled on 19 August 1922 by Mr WW Storr, a Director of the colliery owners, Bolckow, Vaughan and Co Ltd. It commemorates 23 local servicemen who died in the First World War (originally 21 names, two have since been added). The memorial, costing £325 raised by public subscription, was built by J Lowes and Son of Durham, whilst the Recreation Ground on which it stands was given by the colliery owners. Following the Second World War the names of three men who died in that conflict were added. Originally in the centre of the Recreation Ground, it has been moved c40m to the north.
Newfield War Memorial, which stands on the Recreation Ground, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: and austere war memorial in the Classical style;
* Group value: with Newfield Farmhouse and the fingerpost approximately 90m east of Newfield Farmhouse (both Grade II).
Other nearby listed buildings