Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.946 / 54°56'45"N
Longitude: -1.9728 / 1°58'22"W
OS Eastings: 401840
OS Northings: 561258
OS Grid: NZ018612
Mapcode National: GBR GCN7.PS
Mapcode Global: WHB2F.NYS6
Entry Name: Broomhaugh and Riding Mill War Memorial
Location: Broomhaugh and Riding, Northumberland, NE44
Parish: Broomhaugh and Riding
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Listing Date: 5 December 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1439634
First World War memorial, unveiled 1921, with later additions for the Second World War.
The war memorial stands to the southern side of the cemetery. It takes the form of a wheel-head cross c4.5m tall in sandstone from the Windy Nook quarries. The front face of the cross head is decorated with interlace patterns carved in relief. The foot of the cross shaft rises from a tapering pedestal, which stands on a two-stepped base. There is a short and curving low coped brick wall to the rear.
The principal dedicatory inscription, recorded on a bronze plaque fixed to the front face of the pedestal, reads 1914-1918/ REMEMBER WITH HONOUR/ THOSE WHO BY THEIR DEATH/ HAVE ENNOBLED THIS VILLAGE./ (NAMES). A rectangular bronze plaque fixed to the riser of the top step records the Second World War dedication. Both plaques are ornamented with interlace decoration included in the castings.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 23 February 2017.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Riding Mill as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
The memorial was unveiled on 24 May 1921 by Lady Scott, and dedicated by Reverend Canon Richmond. It commemorates 14 local servicemen who died in the First World War. By Messrs William Dixon and Son architects and surveyors of Newcastle, the memorial cost £500 which was raised by public subscription. Following the Second World War the names of seven men who died in that conflict were added. The memorial stood at a nearby road junction c180m to the north-east but was moved into the cemetery, where it was re-dedicated on 13 September 1970 by Reverend Bernard Gatman.
Broomhaugh and Riding Mill War Memorial, which stands in the cemetery, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: an elegant memorial cross in the Celtic style decorated with well-carved interlace ornament.
Other nearby listed buildings