This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.7809 / 54°46'51"N
Longitude: -2.0979 / 2°5'52"W
OS Eastings: 393799
OS Northings: 542893
OS Grid: NY937428
Mapcode National: GBR FFS4.LZ
Mapcode Global: WHB3B.R356
Entry Name: Rookhope War Memorial
Listing Date: 5 December 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1439719
Location: Stanhope, County Durham, DL13
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Stanhope
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Stanhope and Rookhope
Church of England Diocese: Durham
First World War memorial, unveiled 1921, with later additions for the Second World War.
The c4.5m tall granite memorial stands to the west of Bolt’s Burn. It takes the form of a wheel-head cross bearing a reversed sword carved in low relief on the front face. The cross shaft rises from a small pedestal which stands on a tapering plinth. The plinth is raised on a two-stepped base.
The principal dedicatory inscription on the front face of the small pedestal reads FOR HOME AND COUNTRY./ ERECTED TO THE MEMORY OF THE/ MEN FROM THIS PARISH WHO/ SERVED IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914-18. The front face of the plinth is inscribed THOSE WHO FELL/ (NAMES) whilst the remaining three faces are all inscribed THOSE WHO RETURNED followed by lists of names. A small tablet on the lower step of the base carried the later inscription, reading IN MEMORY OF THE MEN WHO/ SERVED IN THE WORLD WAR 1939-1945/ KILLED IN ACTION/ (NAMES). All the inscriptions are in applied metal letters.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 22 February 2017.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Rookhope as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
The memorial was unveiled in December 1921 by Lt-Col J Gray and dedicated by Reverend HGH Shaddick. It commemorates not only the 12 local servicemen who died in the First World War, but all those who served. The memorial was made by Aves of Hexham. Following the Second World War the names of three men who died in that conflict were added.
Rookhope War Memorial, which stands c20m to the west of Boltsburn Bridge, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: a simple yet poignant memorial cross;
* Group value: with The Rookhope Inn (Grade II).
Other nearby listed buildings