This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.8672 / 54°52'2"N
Longitude: -1.497 / 1°29'49"W
OS Eastings: 432382
OS Northings: 552612
OS Grid: NZ323526
Mapcode National: GBR KDZ5.Q0
Mapcode Global: WHC45.ZXBK
Entry Name: Penshaw Parish, Shiney Row War Memorial
Listing Date: 7 December 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1439795
Location: Sunderland, DH4
Civil Parish: Non Civil Parish
Locality: Shiney Row
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Herrington, Penshaw and Shiney Row
Church of England Diocese: Durham
First World War memorial, unveiled 1922.
The c 3.5m tall memorial in Heworth Burn stone takes the form of a Latin cross standing on the corniced top of a pedestal. The pedestal’s foot stands on a two-stage base, which is raised on a single step. The cross head is decorated to front and rear with a second, wheel-head, cross carved in low relief, and a carved wreath appears as though slung over the cross head, encircling the cross arms.
The pedestal faces are carved in pairs of round headed panels surmounted by palm leaves, carved in low relief. Each left-hand panel bears the date 1914, with 1919 to each right-hand panel. Commemorated First World War names are listed on each panel, extending where necessary onto the pedestal foot.
Carved around the upper stage of the base, the dedication runs from face to face reading GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN/ THAN THIS/ THAT HE LAY DOWN HIS LIFE/ FOR HIS FRIENDS. It continues in similar fashion around the lower stage, reading IN HONOURED MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF PENSHAW PARISH/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR/ THEIR COUNTRY IN THE GREAT WAR.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 24 February 2017.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Shiney Row as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of Penshaw Parish who lost their lives in the First World War.
The memorial was unveiled on 1 May 1922 by Lord Joicey. Designed by J Johnston, Clerk of Works, it commemorates 172 local servicemen who died in the First World War. The memorial stood originally opposite the Methodist Church at the north-western end of Barrack Row. It was moved c 80m to the south-east when Washington Highway (A182) was built. The memorial now stands c 100m to the south of that location, to the west of the junction of Station Road and Chester Road.
Penshaw Parish, Shiney Row War Memorial, which stands at the junction of Station Road and Chester Road, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the First World War;
* Architectural interest: a well-carved memorial cross in a local stone incorporating symbols of remembrance.
Other nearby listed buildings