This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7576 / 51°45'27"N
Longitude: -1.1981 / 1°11'53"W
OS Eastings: 455443
OS Northings: 206851
OS Grid: SP554068
Mapcode National: GBR 8Z0.PXF
Mapcode Global: VHCXW.52YY
Entry Name: Headington Quarry War Memorial
Listing Date: 9 February 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1440047
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX3
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Locality: Quarry and Risinghurst
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Headington Quarry
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
First World War memorial, designed by Frank Ernest Howard and carved by Alec Millar, unveiled in October 1920, with Second World War additions.
DESCRIPTION: the memorial is approximately 4.5m high and has a prominent position in the churchyard of Holy Trinity Church.
It faces east and comprises a Calvary cross, decorated in the angles with fleur-de-lys, and the figure of Christ upon the cross sculpted in stone. The cross is set on a tapering octagonal column which has broach stops carved at its base. A sculpted band of what resembles intertwining branches runs around the top of the column and may represent Christ’s crown of thorns. This stands on a hexagonal pedestal, again with carved broach stops, which in turn stands on a three-stepped octagonal base.
On the front, east-facing side of the pedestal the following dedication is inscribed into the stone: 1914 / – / 1918. On three sides of the risers of the uppermost step is the following inscription: TO THE MEMORY OF ALL THE MEN FROM THIS PARISH / WHO LAID DOWN THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR. On the north-facing side of the pedestal the dates 1939 / – / 1945 have been added.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at Headington Quarry as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
The architect is recorded as “Mr Howard of Oxford”, presumed to be Frank Ernest Howard (1888–1934) who was a prolific designer of church furnishings based on his deep knowledge of ecclesiastical art and architecture in the Middle Ages. His work can be found throughout Britain but especially within the south of England close to his home base of Oxford where he lived for all his adult life.
The memorial was carved by Alec Millar of Chipping Camden and the masons were E Coppock and F Goodgame of Headington Quarry. It bears no names: instead these are listed on a separate stone plaque in the church porch which refers to this cross in the churchyard.
This war memorial was unveiled by General Sir Robert Fanshawe, KCB, DSO with the Bishop of Oxford performing the dedication in October 1920.
The dates of the Second World War were later added to the memorial.
Headington Quarry War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: an ornate and well-carved example of a Calvary cross;
* Designer: by Frank Ernest Howard and carved by Alec Millar;
* Group value: with the Church of the Holy Trinity (Grade II).
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings