This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3024 / 52°18'8"N
Longitude: -0.6944 / 0°41'39"W
OS Eastings: 489124
OS Northings: 267948
OS Grid: SP891679
Mapcode National: GBR CX2.R7X
Mapcode Global: VHDRW.XD89
Entry Name: Wellingborough War Memorial
Listing Date: 20 January 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1440068
Location: Wellingborough, Northamptonshire, NN8
Civil Parish: Non Civil Parish
District Council Ward: Swanspool
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Wellingborough
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
First World War memorial, designed by Walter Talbot Brown and unveiled on 6 November 1918.
MATERIALS: Clipsham stone.
DESCRIPTION: the war memorial is located within the churchyard of All Hallows, Wellingborough. It consists of a hooded Calvary cross with figures to either side of Christ of St John and the Virgin Mary. It rises from a tapering octagonal shaft with square base on a chamfered square plinth. The whole is set upon a two-stepped octagonal base with platformed upper faces.
One face of the plinth has INVICTIA PAX carved on it in raised lettering. The top step reads PRAY FOR THE GALLANT MEN/ WHO FROM THIS TOWN GAVE/ THEIR LIVES FOR TRUTH AND/ FREEDOM IN THE GREAT WAR.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at Wellingborough as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
The memorial was given by Mrs Sotheby of Ecton the widow of Major-General Sotheby who had been killed in 1915. It was designed by Walter Talbot Brown an architect based in Wellingborough. He co-wrote with architect J A Gotch, Architecture of the Renaissance in England, published in 1894. His partnership, W Talbot Brown and Fisher, carried out the restoration of St Peter and St Paul Church, Great Bowden, 1886-7, and St Peter’s Church, Belton-in-Rutland, 1897-8. He exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1881 and 1909. He was also responsible for the war memorial in Wellingborough on Broad Green (Grade II).
The memorial was built by T H Higgins and the sculpture was the work of A Reynolds and Son of Northampton. The memorial was unveiled on 6 November 1918.
Wellingborough War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: an ornate and striking design with well-carved figurative sculpture;
* Designer: as an excellent example of the work of prominent architect Walter Talbot Brown;
* Group value: with All Hallows Church (Grade I), All Hallows Church Hall (Grade II*) and Priory Cottage (Grade II).
Other nearby listed buildings