This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6897 / 52°41'22"N
Longitude: -1.3998 / 1°23'59"W
OS Eastings: 440662
OS Northings: 310392
OS Grid: SK406103
Mapcode National: GBR 7K6.6XC
Mapcode Global: WHDJ0.GNMC
Entry Name: Ibstock War Memorial
Listing Date: 20 January 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1440138
Location: Ibstock, North West Leicestershire, Leicestershire, LE67
District: North West Leicestershire
Civil Parish: Ibstock
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Ibstock St Denys
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
First World War memorial, unveiled and dedicated in 1921, with later additions for the Second World War. It was designed by Goddard and Wain of Coalville and sculpted by Wells and Company of Hugglescote. Also included in the listing are the railings which enclose the memorial.
First World War memorial, unveiled and dedicated in 1921, with later additions for the Second World War. It was designed by Goddard and Wain of Coalville and sculpted by Wells and Company of Hugglescote.
MATERIALS: Portland stone.
PLAN: it is rectangular on plan, aligned NE to SW.
DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands on an island in the middle of Central Avenue, at its junction with West Walk and East Walk. Of a Doric style, it comprises a single-step concrete base on which stand three pedestals linked by short walls. Standing on the central pedestal is a cenotaph with clasping pilasters decorated with carved wreaths and a stilted segmental pediment. The side pedestals both support four square columns. All three elements are crowned by a large entablature which rises to an arch over the cenotaph. The NW and SE sides of the memorial both bear identical First World War dedicatory inscriptions; the cornices of the entablature are inscribed FOR GOD, KING AND COUNTRY, while the pediments of the cenotaph read IN PROUD AND GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THE / GALLANT MEN OF IBSTOCK / WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR. Slate tablets in the centre of the cenotaph bear the names of the 80 men who died. The flanking pedestals are inscribed on both sides with the dates 1914 and 1919. Slate tablets on both sides of the central pedestal are inscribed with the names of the 48 fallen of the Second World War. They are in turn flanked by the inscribed dates of 1939 and 1945. Just above ground level the pedestal returns are inscribed GODDARD & WAIN LLRIBA / ARCHITECTS and WELLS & CO / SCULPTORS.
The memorial is enclosed by cast iron railings with gates at each end.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 20 February 2017.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. One such memorial was unveiled and dedicated at Ibstock on 19 February 1921 to commemorate 80 men of the parish who died during the conflict. Constructed at a cost of £840, it was designed by Goddard and Wain of Coalville and sculpted by Wells and Company of Hugglescote. Following the Second World War the names of a further 48 local men who died during that conflict were added.
Ibstock War Memorial, unveiled and dedicated in 1921, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Design interest: as an accomplished and well-realised war memorial with a sculptural form.
Other nearby listed buildings