This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.362 / 51°21'43"N
Longitude: -0.19 / 0°11'23"W
OS Eastings: 526112
OS Northings: 164108
OS Grid: TQ261641
Mapcode National: GBR CK.YKW
Mapcode Global: VHGRQ.N1F5
Entry Name: Sutton War Memorial
Location: Sutton, London, SM1
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Locality: Sutton Central
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Listing Date: 5 December 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1440302
First World War memorial, designed by J S W Burmester and unveiled 26 June 1921, with Second World War additions.
MATERIALS: Portland stone.
DESCRIPTION: the memorial is sited in Manor Park facing the main Carshalton Road. It comprises a Latin cross with octagonal cross arms embellished with carved details in the corners of the cross arms and surmounting an octagonal tapering shaft with carved collar and base. It is set upon a plinth with projections or spurs at each corner.
At the base of the shaft facing the front (Carshalton Road) is an inscription on a bronze panel which reads: THIS SIGN/ OF THE GREAT SACRIFICE/ IS RAISED IN HONOUR OF/ OUR HEROIC DEAD/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR ENGLAND/ IN THE GREAT WAR/ THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE. At the base of the shaft on each corner spur of the plinth is a carved angel and in between are the carved emblems of the Army, Navy and the Air Force.
The sides of the plinth have recessed stone panels carved with arched surrounds and twelve bronze panels, three facing each way, bear the names of the fallen.
On a panel just above the steps on the front face is an inscription which reads:
AND IN MEMORY OF THOSE MEN AND WOMEN OF/ SUTTON WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN DEFENCE OF/ FREEDOM IN THE WORLD WAR 1939 – 1945.
Another panel below reads: THE PEOPLE OF SUTTON/ ERECTED THIS MONUMENT AND DEDICATED/ THE FOUR ACRES OF GROUND SURROUNDING IT/ TO THE USE OF THE PUBLIC FOR EVER. JUNE 1921.
The plinth is set upon an octagonal four-stepped base with the longer side facing the road frontage. It is surrounded by four sets of two stone steps which facilitates access to the memorial.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 20 February 2017.
Four acres of land were bought by the War Memorial Committee of Sutton Urban District Council and two houses demolished along the Carshalton Road frontage to make Memorial Gardens which adjoined Manor Park, already the property of the town. The pathway in Carshalton Road was widened and new park fencing erected so that the memorial would stand in seven acres of garden providing a picturesque resting place, cool and shady, for every resident (according to the Sutton Advertiser).
On 7 January 1921 Sir Ralph Forster offered the memorial and grounds in trust to the Council to undertake and care for the memorial and the land. Forster of The Grange in Sutton and High Sheriff of Surrey from 1906, was a great benefactor and gave land and money for a hospital as well as raising funds for the memorial. His son Major Hugh Murray Forster was killed in the war at the Battle of Loos in 1915.
J S W Burmester FRIBA was the memorial's designer who lived in Grange Road, Sutton and he also designed the layout of the Memorial Gardens. The designs were exhibited in the Council Chamber on 28 November 1919.
The memorial was unveiled 26 June 1921 by Forster with the dedication by the Bishop of Southwark. It carries the names of 518 men who fell in the war. In addition, the memorial is also dedicated to one woman, Eliza Bailey, aged 22, from Sutton who lost her life during the war. She was killed in an accident at the munitions factory based at Brocks firework factory in Gander Green Lane.
The surrounding paths originally had a cross-pattern but were subsequently changed to a Y-design after 1935. Following the Second World War, an inscription dedicated to those who lost their lives in that war was added.
Sutton War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: a most striking design with an impressive composition of fine carved angels and other carved decorative details;
* Design: an elegant stepped base surround with four sets of two stone steps which facilitate access;
* Designer: by Sutton architect J S W Burmester.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings