This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.5626 / 54°33'45"N
Longitude: -1.8883 / 1°53'17"W
OS Eastings: 407321
OS Northings: 518607
OS Grid: NZ073186
Mapcode National: GBR HH7P.Z6
Mapcode Global: WHB4D.YLZ2
Entry Name: Stainton War Memorial
Listing Date: 7 December 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1440520
Location: Streatlam and Stainton, County Durham, DL12
County: County Durham
Parish: Streatlam and Stainton
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Barnard Castle with Whorlton
Church of England Diocese: Durham
First World War memorial, unveiled 1924, with later additions for the Second World War.
The memorial stands in a grassy area on the north side of the road through the village of Stainton. Built in freestone from Stainton Quarry, the c3.5m tall memorial takes the form of an obelisk, square on plan, rising from a capped plinth. The plinth stands on a base and step, square on plan. The obelisk and the plinth cap and base are rough-hewn.
The principal dedicatory inscription on the front face of the plinth reads LEST WE FORGET/ IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF THIS TOWNSHIP WHO/ FELL IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-18/ (NAMES)/ 1939 – 1945/ (NAMES).
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 27 February 2017.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Stainton as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
The memorial was unveiled on 6 April 1924 by Major Wormald and dedicated by the Vicar of Barnard Castle, Reverend HW Bircham. It commemorates 15 local servicemen who died in the First World War and was made by Mr F Deacon of Barnard Castle. The memorial cost c£90, the site having been donated by Mr Newcombe and Messrs JD Wood and Co. Following the Second World War the names of two men who died in that conflict were added.
Stainton War Memorial, which stands to the north of Main Street, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: a simple yet dignified memorial obelisk in the Classical style.
Other nearby listed buildings