This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8134 / 52°48'48"N
Longitude: 0.0931 / 0°5'35"E
OS Eastings: 541167
OS Northings: 326037
OS Grid: TF411260
Mapcode National: GBR KZX.LC4
Mapcode Global: WHJNP.DKL1
Entry Name: Gedney Dyke War Memorial
Listing Date: 6 December 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1440858
Location: Gedney, South Holland, Lincolnshire, PE12
District: South Holland
Civil Parish: Gedney
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Gedney St Mary Magdelene
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
First World War memorial, by Charles Warrick, unveiled on 4 April 1920, with one name added after the Second World War.
First World War memorial, by Charles Warrick, unveiled on 4 April 1920.
MATERIALS: polished Aberdeen granite.
DESCRIPTION: the memorial comprises a circa 2.8m high obelisk set on a square three-stage plinth upon a single-stepped base.
In incised black letters on the S face of the plinth the inscription reads TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ THIS MONUMENT WAS ERECTED/ BY THE INHABITANTS OF/ GEDNEY DYKE AND FRIENDS/ IN GRATEFUL REMEMBRANCE OF/ THE MEN OF THIS VILLAGE/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR/ THEIR KING AND COUNTRY/ IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918/ GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN/ THIS, THAT A MAN SHOULD LAY DOWN/ HIS LIFE FOR HIS COUNTRY.
The W and E faces are inscribed with the names of those who lost their lives in the First World War with the name of one who fell in the Second World War inscribed on the N face with the dates 1939 – 1945/ (NAME).
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at Gedney Dyke as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
To honour the fallen of Gedney, a tablet was unveiled and dedicated in St Mary Magdalene Church on Wednesday 6 October 1920. The residents of Gedney Dyke also chose to erect a war memorial for their own community, where almost 60 had enlisted during the war and nine had died. Fundraising activities were organised to meet the cost of £200 and the memorial was built by Charles Warrick, stone and marble mason of Market Street, Long Sutton. The memorial was unveiled on Easter Sunday afternoon 4 April 1920 and dedicated by the Revd Richard Lawson Gales, vicar of Gedney.
Following the Second World War, the name of one who fell in that conflict was also added.
Gedney Dyke War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: a tall striking obelisk in polished Aberdeen granite;
* Designer: by Charles Warrick, a local mason.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings