This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9805 / 52°58'49"N
Longitude: -0.2992 / 0°17'57"W
OS Eastings: 514287
OS Northings: 343925
OS Grid: TF142439
Mapcode National: GBR GSG.355
Mapcode Global: WHHLL.CBRY
Entry Name: Heckington War Memorial
Location: Heckington, North Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG34
District: North Kesteven
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Listing Date: 6 December 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1440861
First World War memorial, unveiled on 1 October 1922, with further names added after the Second World War.
First World War memorial unveiled on 1 October 1922.
MATERIALS: Cornish granite.
DESCRIPTION: the memorial is located on the edge of the Village Green and it comprises a wheel-head cross embellished with carved knotwork and a central boss surmounting a tapered shaft. This is set upon a plinth and a three-stepped base and overall stands almost c 7.6m high.
The inscriptions are on carried on a bronze plaque on the plinth and it reads: TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN PROUD AND GRATEFUL MEMORY/ OF THE FOLLOWING/ MEN OF HECKINGTON/ WHO MADE THE SUPREME SACRIFICE IN/ THE GREAT WAR. 1914 – 1918/ (NAMES)/ THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE. The Second World War dedication is on a bronze plaque fixed to the face of the upper step of the base and it reads: ALSO IN ETERNAL MEMORY OF THE/ FOLLOWING WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ IN THE WORLD WAR./ 1939 – 1945/ (NAMES)/ WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.
The memorial is surrounded by paving and ornate bow-top metal fencing furnished with a gate at the front.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at Heckington as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
A scheme for a war memorial was agreed in mid-1919 and fundraising commenced immediately towards a target of £360. On Sunday afternoon 1 October 1922 the memorial was unveiled by Major John Richard Gason Magrath of the Lincolnshire Regiment, who had become an instructor with the Machine Gun Corps at Belton Park in August 1916. In his speech he referred to the fact that from 250 parishioners who served in the armed forces, 31 had died. The vicar Revd Charles Arthur Norris carried out the dedication.
Following the Second World War, the names of those who lost their lives in that war were also added.
Heckington War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: an elegant Cornish granite wheel-head cross with carved decorative details;
* Design: sited within its original well-executed enclosure comprising paving surrounded by ornate bow-top metal fencing furnished with a gate.
* Group value: with the Nag’s Head Public House (Grade II) and Grade II-listed buildings along the High Street.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings