This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0067 / 53°0'24"N
Longitude: -0.6252 / 0°37'30"W
OS Eastings: 492348
OS Northings: 346368
OS Grid: SK923463
Mapcode National: GBR DNZ.JRN
Mapcode Global: WHGK3.CPJC
Entry Name: Hough-on-the-Hill War Memorial
Listing Date: 6 December 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1440862
Location: Hough-on-the-Hill, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG32
District: South Kesteven
Civil Parish: Hough-on-the-Hill
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Hough-on-the-Hill All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
First World War memorial, by Streather and Winn and unveiled on 31 October 1920, with further names added after the Second World War.
First World War memorial, by Streather and Winn, unveiled on 31 October 1920.
MATERIALS: Clipsham stone.
DESCRIPTION: the memorial is located within the churchyard of All Saints Church, and it comprises a c 3.9m tall carved Calvary cross bearing a figure of Christ crucified topped by a triangular roof. It is set upon a tapering shaft with a carved decorated collar upon a plinth. The front face of the plinth is inscribed with: TO THE HONOUR/ OF OUR BRAVE MEN/ WHO DIED FOR KING AND COUNTRY/ IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918.
The plinth is set upon a single-stepped base flanked by low walls. The Second World War dedication is on the face of the base and it reads: TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN EVER GRATEFUL MEMORY OF / THOSE LIVES ARDENTLY LIVED AND GENEROUSLY GIVEN / FOR FREEDOM IN THE WORLD WAR/ 1939 – 1945/ (NAMES)/ THESE WERE HIS SERVANTS IN [rest illegible].
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at Hough-on-the-Hill as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
Occupying a commanding position in All Saints churchyard overlooking High Road the village war memorial takes the form of Calvary constructed of Clipsham stone quarried a few miles north of Stamford. The design is almost a replica of the ancient Perpendicular wayside cross found in front of St Margaret’s Church at Somersby. The project was undertaken by Streather and Winn, stone masons of St Catherine’s Road, Grantham at a cost of £138 17s. Public subscriptions had amounted to the total sum of £141 7s. 6d.
On Sunday afternoon 31 October 1920 the memorial was unveiled by the Revd Frederick Markland Percy Sheriffs, rector of St Vincent church, Caythorpe.
Following the Second World War, reconfiguration of the memorial was carried out with the names of those who lost their lives in that war added onto a plaque below. Low flanking walls were also added and a stepped base. Historic photographs show that the memorial did not bear a dedication, only the names of those who fell in the First World War, so the inscription may have been added at the time of the reconfiguration. Similarly the original memorial cross carried a figure of the Virgin Mary with the infant Christ which was removed and replaced with a figure of Christ crucified.
Hough-on-the-Hill War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: a well-carved example of a hooded Calvary cross;
* Design: a well-executed addition of a Second World War plaque and low flanking walls and stepped base;
* Group value: with the Church of All Saints (Grade I).
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings