This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.1591 / 55°9'32"N
Longitude: -1.6051 / 1°36'18"W
OS Eastings: 425260
OS Northings: 585043
OS Grid: NZ252850
Mapcode National: GBR K87S.9F
Mapcode Global: WHC2S.9LXB
Entry Name: Guide Post War Memorial
Listing Date: 2 February 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1440982
Location: North Bedlington, Northumberland, NE62
Civil Parish: North Bedlington
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Choppington St Paul the Apostle
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
First World War memorial designed by Mr Maughan, unveiled 1921, with later additions for the Second World War.
The c3.5m tall memorial stands on a grassy plot on Morpeth Road. Built of Red sandstone from the Doddington quarries, it comprises a small wheel-head cross at the top of a tapering shaft, which stands on the pedimented top of the plinth. The base of the plinth stands on a three-stepped base.
The principal dedicatory inscription to the front face of the plinth reads THEY LIVED AND DIED LIKE BRITONS/ FOR KING AND COUNTRY/ ERECTED/ IN PROUD AND GRATEFUL/ REMEMBRANCE OF THE MEN/ CONNECTED WITH/ GUIDE POST, CHOPPINGTON/ WHO LAID DOWN THEIR LIVES/ IN THE GREAT WAR/ AND WHOSE NAMES ARE/ INSCRIBED HEREON/ 1914 - 1919 / 1939 – 1945. The commemorated names from both conflicts are inscribed to the faces of the plinth and its base.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 27 February 2017.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Guide Post as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
The memorial was unveiled on 2 July 1921 by Mr W Short and dedicated by Reverend J Burdon. It commemorates 51 local servicemen who died during the First World War, costing £230, raised by public subscription, whilst the original plot was donated by Mr W Short. The memorial was designed by Mr Maughan, sculpted by Mr Gibson, monumental mason of Newbiggin, and built by Mr W Robertson of Guide Post. The original palings, now lost, were provided by Swinney Bros Ltd.
Following the Second World War the names of 18 men who died in that conflict were added, and the memorial was unveiled by Mr TH Cruddis and re-dedicated by Reverend GH Earle on 19 October 1952. In 1921 the memorial stood at the east side of the Choppington Road, but it was moved to its current location in advance of a road-widening scheme.
Guide Post War Memorial, which stands on Morpeth Road, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: a tall and imposing memorial cross in a regional stone.
Other nearby listed buildings