This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8627 / 50°51'45"N
Longitude: -4.1134 / 4°6'48"W
OS Eastings: 251363
OS Northings: 109152
OS Grid: SS513091
Mapcode National: GBR KN.TXDP
Mapcode Global: FRA 268T.H98
Entry Name: Petrockstowe War Memorial
Location: Petrockstow, Torridge, Devon, EX20
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Listing Date: 10 February 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1441005
First World War memorial, 1921 with further names added after the Second World War.
MATERIALS: rough-hewn granite.
DESCRIPTION: Petrockstowe War Memorial is located beside the entrance to the churchyard in The Square in Petrockstowe. It consists of a Latin cross rising on a tapering shaft. The shaft stands on a three-stepped square base.
Three sides of the steps carry the inscriptions and names in lead lettering. The main dedication reads IN EVER/ GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THE/ FOLLOWING PARISHIONERS/ WHO DIED FOR US IN THE/ GREAT WAR 1914 – 1918 and is located on the top step. On the two steps below this are a list of names followed by THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE. The other faces of the steps also have lists of names preceded by THESE SERVED and THESE SUFFERED HURT. A further dedication was added for the Second World War and reads WORLD WAR 1939 – 1945/ (NAMES).
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at Petrockstowe in 1921 as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community, who served during the First World War. It commemorates 61 local servicemen who served during the First World War and ten who died. The site for the memorial was gifted by Lord Clinton.
Following the Second World War, a dedication was added to commemorate the two who served and the two fallen of that conflict.
In 2000 the inscriptions on the memorial were improved and in 2004 works to the hard landscaping were undertaken with the help of grant aid from War Memorials Trust.
Petrockstowe War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: a simple yet dignified granite Latin cross;
* Group value: with Church Gate, Outbuilding and 3-6 The Square (all Grade II).
Other nearby listed buildings