Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0555 / 52°3'19"N
Longitude: 0.314 / 0°18'50"E
OS Eastings: 558749
OS Northings: 242206
OS Grid: TL587422
Mapcode National: GBR ND4.261
Mapcode Global: VHHKZ.DLBM
Entry Name: Ashdon War Memorial
Location: Ashdon, Uttlesford, Essex, CB10
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Listing Date: 6 February 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1441011
First World War memorial unveiled on 23 October 1921.
MATERIALS: Portland stone memorial, bronze plaques and concrete steps.
DESCRIPTION: the memorial in the village of Ashdon stands within a garden on the village green. It consists of a Portland stone flag base. It is set on a wide base of three shallow concrete steps. The memorial carries two bronze plaques, one on the front and one on the side, as well as an engraved quotation on the rear face.
The dedication on the bronze plaque on the front of the memorial reads TO THE MEN OF ASHDON WHO/ GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE/ GREAT WAR/ (NAMES). The engraved quotation on the rear of the memorial, comes from John Bunyan’s Pilgrim’s Progress AND ALL THE TRUMPETS SOUNDED/ FOR THEM ON THE OTHER SIDE. The plaque on the side of the memorial to commemorate the fallen of the Second World War is inscribed TO THOSE WHO DIED/ IN THE/ SECOND WORLD WAR/ 1939 – 1945/ (NAMES).
A Portland stone plaque has been added underneath to commemorate Elizabeth Everitt.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at Ashdon as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
Ashdon War Memorial was dedicated on 23 October 1921 by Maj Gen Sir S W Hare KCMG CB, Commander of the East Anglian Territorial Division. The memorial commemorates 21 local servicemen who fell in the First World War and the names of four local servicemen were added following the Second World War.
A Portland stone plaque has been added underneath to commemorate Elizabeth Everitt, a local farmer’s wife who died trying to rescue American airmen from a burning American bomber which crashed near the village in 1944.
In 2008 the memorial was conserved with the help of grant aid from War Memorials Trust and the Wolfson Foundation.
Ashdon War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: a simple yet striking memorial flag base in Portland stone.
Other nearby listed buildings