History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Northleach War Memorial

A Grade II Listed Building in Northleach with Eastington, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8301 / 51°49'48"N

Longitude: -1.8372 / 1°50'14"W

OS Eastings: 411312

OS Northings: 214624

OS Grid: SP113146

Mapcode National: GBR 3PR.BB0

Mapcode Global: VHB27.38LC

Entry Name: Northleach War Memorial

Location: Northleach with Eastington, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Parish: Northleach with Eastington

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Listing Date: 7 December 2016

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1441016

Summary

A First World War memorial, designed by Healing and Overbury architects of Cheltenham, unveiled 3 June 1922; altered after the Second World War and in the mid-C20.

Description

A First World War memorial, designed by Healing and Overbury architects of Cheltenham, unveiled 3 June 1922; altered after the Second World War and in the mid-C20.

MATERIALS: local limestone, with metal plaques.

DESCRIPTION: a war memorial in the form of a Latin cross on a tapering octagonal shaft with a square foot, set on a square-section plinth with moulded edges. The whole stands on a three-stepped octagonal platform. The inscriptions are on metal plaques on all four sides of the memorial: IN MEMORIAM / 1914 - 1918 / 1939 - 1945 / ET ALIORUM; 1914 - 1918 / (NAMES) and below: 1950 MALAYA / (NAME); 1914 - 1918 / (NAMES); 1939 - 1945 / (NAMES).

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 17 February 2017.

History

The war memorial cross in the Market Place in Northleach was constructed in 1922, to commemorate the fallen of the village. After some debate over the form which the memorial to the casualties of Northleach and Eastington should take, it was eventually decided in June 1921 that a memorial cross should be erected, and a plaque set up in the parish church alongside the Roll of Honour. The memorials, paid for by public subscription, were unveiled on 3 June 1922. The stone for the cross, from Farmington Quarry, was donated by Colonel C D Barrow of Farmington Lodge. It was designed by Healing and Overbury architects of Cheltenham, and made by Mr Berkeley, mason of South Cerney. The memorial was unveiled by Maj Gen Stanton, and dedicated by the Bishop of Gloucester in a ceremony attended by over 1000 people.

The memorial cross was originally inscribed simply 1914 – REMEMBRANCE – 1918. After the Second World War, metal plaques giving the names of the men who lost their lives in each of the World Wars were added. During the conflict in Malaysia (formerly Malaya), a third plaque was added commemorating a soldier from the parish who had died in that conflict.

Reasons for Listing

Northleach War Memorial, Market Place, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: a sombre but elegant memorial, well made and with good metal plaques.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Doctors Commons
    Northleach with Eastington, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54
  • II Farrier's
    Northleach with Eastington, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54
  • II The Ox House
    Northleach with Eastington, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54
  • II Cotswold House
    Northleach with Eastington, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54
  • II The Gables
    Northleach with Eastington, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54
  • II K6 Telephone Kiosk
    Northleach with Eastington, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54
  • II Country Friends
    Northleach with Eastington, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54
  • II No 4 Walton House walton House
    Northleach with Eastington, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.