Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7441 / 53°44'38"N
Longitude: -2.4401 / 2°26'24"W
OS Eastings: 371073
OS Northings: 427610
OS Grid: SD710276
Mapcode National: GBR CTD4.JL
Mapcode Global: WH972.H582
Entry Name: St Oswald's, Knuzden War Memorial
Location: Hyndburn, Lancashire, BB1
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Locality: St Oswald's
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Listing Date: 20 January 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1441026
First World War memorial, unveiled in 1921, with further names added after the Second World War.
The memorial is located within the churchyard of the Church of St Oswald at Knuzden, and it comprises a Latin cross with moulded ends and with a patte cross at the intersection of the arms. It has a carved collar and surmounts a tapering shaft. The whole is set on a tapering plinth and a two-stepped base. Around the steps the memorial is enclosed by a low stone kerb with small pillars at each corner.
The inscription reads: ERECTED BY THE PARISHIONERS AD 1921 IN GRATEFUL AND LOVING MEMORY OF THE MEN OF ST OSWALD'S CHURCH AND SCHOOL WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR GOD, KING AND COUNTRY IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 – 1918. GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS. (NAMES)
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at St Oswalds’s Church at Knuzden as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. It was unveiled in 1921 and dedicated to 24 men of St Oswalds’s Church and School.
Following the Second World War the names of three who fell in that conflict were added to the memorial.
St Oswald’s, Knuzden War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: an ornate and striking Latin cross with carved decorative details.
Other nearby listed buildings