This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0643 / 52°3'51"N
Longitude: -2.7222 / 2°43'19"W
OS Eastings: 350586
OS Northings: 240902
OS Grid: SO505409
Mapcode National: GBR FK.D5CK
Mapcode Global: VH85N.RCRW
Entry Name: Holmer War Memorial
Listing Date: 10 February 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1441039
Location: Hereford, County of Herefordshire, HR4
County: County of Herefordshire
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Holmer with Huntington
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
First World War memorial unveiled September 1920.
DESCRIPTION: Holmer War Memorial is located on Widemarsh Common. It consists of a Latin cross on top of a tapering shaft. The shaft rises from an octagonal plinth set upon on a three-stepped base.
The plinth is incised with the dedication: TO HOLMER MEN/ OF GLORIOUS MEMORY/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ FOR KING AND COUNTRY/ 1914 – 1918. The other sides of the plinth are incised with the names of the fallen.
A further dedication runs around the top step and reads: LIVE THOU FOR ENGLAND AS WE FOR ENGLAND DIED/ GRANT THEM O LORD ETERNAL REST AND PEACE/ LORD OF HOST, BE WITH US YET/ LEST WE FORGET – LEST WE FORGET.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at Widemarsh as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. Unveiled by the Dean of Hereford in September 1920, it commemorates 66 local servicemen who died during the First World War.
The memorial was originally located at the junction of Priory Place and Newtown Road but was moved to its present site in the mid-C20.
Holmer War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: a simple yet dignified Latin cross;
* Group value: with Moor House gate piers and walls (Grade II).
Other nearby listed buildings