This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2924 / 51°17'32"N
Longitude: -0.1617 / 0°9'42"W
OS Eastings: 528275
OS Northings: 156407
OS Grid: TQ282564
Mapcode National: GBR DK.KWH
Mapcode Global: VHGRY.4SW4
Entry Name: Chipstead War Memorial
Location: Reigate and Banstead, Surrey, CR5
District: Reigate and Banstead
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Locality: Chipstead, Hooley and Woodmansterne
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Listing Date: 6 February 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1441041
First World War memorial, designed by Hugh Henry Scott-Willey of Chipstead and unveiled on 3 April 1920, with further names added after the Second World War.
MATERIALS: Portland stone.
DESCRIPTION: the memorial is located on Church Green facing the entrance to the Church of St Margaret. It consists of a medieval cross with floriated details terminating in a moulded cap which is set at the top of a tapering octagonal shaft. The shaft rises from an octagonal plinth which has carved shields of the Bishops of Southwark and Chertsey in arched niches on two faces and a representation of George and the Dragon in another. The whole is set upon an octagonal two stepped base.
The main dedication to the fallen of the First World War is located within an arched niche on the plinth and reads: TO THE/ GLORIOUS MEMORY/ OF THE/ CHIPSTEAD MEN/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ FOR THEIR COUNTRY/ IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918/ THIS MEMORIAL WAS RAISED/ BY THE PARISHIONERS/ “THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE”/ ECCLESIASTICUS XLIV 14. The other faces of the plinth have square niches with the names of the fallen inscribed within them.
On the moulded base of the plinth below the First World War dedication is a dedication for the Second World War which reads: ALSO OF THOSE/ WHO FELL IN THE WAR OF/ 1939 – 45. The other faces of the moulded plinth base are incised with the names of the fallen from the Second World War.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at Chipstead as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
Chipstead War Memorial was designed by Hugh Henry Scott-Willey (1885-1970), an architect and Chipstead resident, and a local historian who was greatly involved with the church. From 1918 he was an occasional partner with the notable architects Imrie and Angell (being styled Angell and Scott-Willey for such projects) as well as carrying out independent commissions. He became FRIBA in 1936. The memorial was unveiled 3 April 1920 by F E Goad, chair of the memorial committee. The site for the memorial was gifted to the Parish Council by Lord Hylton who was due to unveil the memorial but was unable to due to illness.
The memorial commemorates 27 local service men who fell in the First World War.
Following the Second World War the names of 16 who fell in that conflict were added to the memorial.
The memorial was cleaned and conserved in 1994.
Chipstead War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: a most striking design with fine lettering and carved decorative details;
* Designer: by Hugh Henry Scott-Willey of Chipstead;
* Group value: with the Church of St Margaret (Grade I) and Grade II-listed tombs in the churchyard.
Other nearby listed buildings