This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.6051 / 53°36'18"N
Longitude: -2.2179 / 2°13'4"W
OS Eastings: 385675
OS Northings: 412080
OS Grid: SD856120
Mapcode National: GBR DVYR.MD
Mapcode Global: WHB8W.XN04
Entry Name: Bamford War Memorial
Location: Rochdale, OL10
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Listing Date: 7 December 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1441120
First World War memorial, dedicated 1920, with later additions for the Second World War. Stone column surmounted by a cross, set on a stone podium.
First World War memorial, dedicated 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.
The Bamford war memorial is situated on the N side of Bury and Rochdale Old Road, on the pavement in front of the entrance steps to the churchyard of the Church of St Michael. It comprises a square stone shaft raised on a pedestal and a two-stepped podium, surmounted by a Latin cross with recessed panels and decorated by a central knot; the base of the cross is decorated by a Laurel wreath. The shaft has a recessed panel containing a sheathed broadsword carved in relief; it stands on a convex square base. The front panel (SE) of the pedestal is recessed with a raised dedication that reads TO THE / MEMORY OF / THOSE WHO HAVE / FALLEN IN THE / GREAT WAR / 1914 – 1918 / R.I.P. A dedication that reads 1939 – 1945 is inscribed into the convex surface of the cross base. The 49 names of the Fallen of the First and Second World Wars are inscribed and painted into the convex surface of the base, the plain cornice of the pedestal, the three side panels, and the sides of the top step of the podium.
Bamford War Memorial was created as a memorial to the men of the town who fell during the First World War. The first meeting to plan for the erection of the memorial took place on 23 February 1919, it was completed at a cost of £108, and it was dedicated on 9 May 1920. Following the Second World War it was also dedicated to the fallen of that conflict. The memorial was originally sited in the church yard to the W of the Church of St Michael, but was subsequently moved to its present location at the base of the entrance steps to the church yard.
Bamford War Memorial, dedicated 9 May 1920, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Design interest: it is a dignified monument in the form of a Latin cross, executed in good quality materials, which provides an elegant and fitting tribute to the Fallen of the town from both World Wars.
Other nearby listed buildings