History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Gabriel War Memorial, St Gabriel's Church, Middleton Junction

A Grade II Listed Building in East Middleton, Rochdale

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5442 / 53°32'39"N

Longitude: -2.1744 / 2°10'27"W

OS Eastings: 388540

OS Northings: 405295

OS Grid: SD885052

Mapcode National: GBR FW8G.17

Mapcode Global: WHB99.K5SS

Entry Name: Church of St Gabriel War Memorial, St Gabriel's Church, Middleton Junction

Location: Rochdale, M24

County: Rochdale

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Locality: East Middleton

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Listing Date: 2 February 2017

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1441153

Summary

War memorial, dedicated 1921 and re-dedicated 1947.

Description

War memorial, dedicated 1921 and re-dedicated 1947.

The war memorial is situated within the churchyard, immediately outside of the W window of the Church of St Gabriel. It comprises a rectangular stone column raised on a pedestal and plinth, surmounted by a stylised Celtic cross with a recessed panel containing a broadsword carved in relief pointing downwards, with a Laurel wreath enclosing the hilt that has a small Lancashire rose at its centre. The base of the cross is supported by a scroll bracket to either side, with the date 1914 above a festoon on the front panel. The front of the pedestal is divided into three recessed panels; the central panel is twice the width of the outer pair and it has a dedication that reads: ERECTED / IN HONOURED MEMORY / OF / THE BRAVE MEN FROM / S.GABRIEL’S PARISH / WHO SACRIFICED / THEIR LIVES / IN THE GREAT WARS / + / “THEIR NAMES LIVETH / FOR EVERMORE.”. The flanking panels are carved 1939 / 1945 and record the names of 14 individuals killed during the Second World War. The 131 Fallen of the First World War are recorded on the side panels of the pedestal, and on the plinth. The remaining 26 names of the Fallen from the Second World War are recorded in two panels on the plinth; the front panel on the top step is also carved 1939 /1945. All names are recorded by initial and surname, with the exception of one woman – Martha Scott.

History

The war memorial was created to commemorate the men of the Parish of St Gabriel’s who fell during the First World War. It was built by Messrs F Taylor and Sons (Builder) at a cost of £185, and it was unveiled and dedicated 26 February 1921, in the presence of Lt Colonel R L Lees DSO, OBE, VD, TD, Sixth Battalion, Lancashire Fusiliers. Following the Second World War it was re-dedicated on 9 November 1947 to include the fallen of that conflict.

Reasons for Listing

This war memorial of 1921 is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on the Parish of St Gabriel’s, Middleton and the sacrifices it made during both World Wars;
* Architectural interest: a well-executed design in good quality materials in the form of a Celtic cross.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.