This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8631 / 51°51'47"N
Longitude: -0.7381 / 0°44'17"W
OS Eastings: 486989
OS Northings: 219035
OS Grid: SP869190
Mapcode National: GBR D2G.07F
Mapcode Global: VHDV0.5F4K
Entry Name: Wingrave War Memorial
Listing Date: 22 December 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1441163
Location: Wingrave with Rowsham, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, HP22
District: Aylesbury Vale
Parish: Wingrave with Rowsham
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Wingrave
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
First World War memorial, unveiled on 30 May 1921, with later additions for the Second World War.
War memorial, unveiled in 1921.
MATERIALS: rough-hewn granite.
DESCRIPTION: the memorial comprises an obelisk upon a square plinth and two-stepped base, standing approximately 9ft high. A cross is carved into the front face of the obelisk.
The panel on the plinth bears the following; IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF, beneath which appear the names of the nineteen fallen from the First World War, followed by MEN OF THIS PARISH WHO FELL IN/ THE GREAT WAR 1914 - 1919./ "THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE."
Directly above, the panel at the base of the obelisk bears the dates 1939 - 1945, beneath which appear the names of the four fallen from the Second World War. All lettering is in black-painted inset lead.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever, with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was a result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and the official policy of not repatriating the dead. Therefore, the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at Wingrave, as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. The memorial was built at a cost of £130, by Messrs Newman and Harper of Aylesbury, and was unveiled on 30 May 1921, by Major General J. C. Swann, C.B., D.L. The memorial commemorates nineteen men of the parish who died during the First World War. Following the Second World War, a further four names were added.
Wingrave War Memorial, which stands in a prominent location at the junction of Church Street and Dark Lane, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Design: as a simple yet poignant obelisk;
* Group value: with a number of listed buildings, including the Church of St. Peter and St. Paul, listed at Grade II*.
Other nearby listed buildings