History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints War Memorial, All Saint's Church, Manchester Old Road, Middleton

A Grade II Listed Building in South Middleton, Rochdale

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5436 / 53°32'36"N

Longitude: -2.2265 / 2°13'35"W

OS Eastings: 385087

OS Northings: 405241

OS Grid: SD850052

Mapcode National: GBR DWWG.RF

Mapcode Global: WHB98.R6Y7

Entry Name: Church of All Saints War Memorial, All Saint's Church, Manchester Old Road, Middleton

Listing Date: 2 February 2017

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1441215

Location: Rochdale, M24

County: Rochdale

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Locality: South Middleton

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Rhodes and Parkfield

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Summary

War memorial in the form of an obelisk, erected in the early 1920s.

Description

War memorial, 1920s

Plan: rectangular.

Materials: stone.

The war memorial is situated within the churchyard to the W of the Church of All Saints, Middleton. It comprises a rectangular stone obelisk raised on a pedestal and a three-stepped plinth. The obelisk is emblazoned with a broadsword carved in relief pointing downwards, with a Laurel wreath suspended around the hilt that has a small Lancashire rose at its centre. The base of the obelisk is supported by a scroll bracket to either side, with a canted front panel that reads – THEIR NAMES / LIVETH / FOR / EVERMORE. The front of the pedestal is divided into three recessed panels; the central panel is twice the width of the outer pair, it projects slightly, and it has a dedication that reads – TO / THE GLORY OF GOD / AND IN / LOVING MEMORY / OF THOSE / WHO MADE THE / GREAT SACRIFICE / + / 1914-1919. The 92 Fallen of the First World War are recorded on the two side panels and the rear panel of the pedestal.

History

This war memorial was erected to commemorate the men of the Parish of All Saints', Middleton, who fell during the First World War. It appear to have been built to a design obtained from a pattern book, as the pedestal is very similar to that of a war memorial at St Gabriel’s Church, Middleton Junction, which was built by Messrs F Taylor and Sons (Builder). No additional names were added to the monument following the Second World War.

Reasons for Listing

This war memorial of early 1920s date is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on the Parish of All Saints, Middleton, and the sacrifices it made during the First World War;
* Architectural interest: a well-executed and dignified design in the form of an obelisk

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.