This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5236 / 51°31'24"N
Longitude: 0.4048 / 0°24'17"E
OS Eastings: 566927
OS Northings: 183259
OS Grid: TQ669832
Mapcode National: GBR NLN.F5P
Mapcode Global: VHJKZ.YYVX
Entry Name: Horndon on the Hill War Memorial
Listing Date: 13 February 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1441323
Location: Thurrock, SS17
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Horndon-on-the-Hill; St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
First World War memorial, unveiled on 5 December 1920, with further names added after the Second World War.
MATERIALS: rough-hewn granite.
DESCRIPTION: Horndon on the Hill War Memorial is located on the edge of the churchyard of the Church of St Peter and St Paul. It consists of a wheel-head cross on top of a tapering shaft and with a Sword of Sacrifice carved in relief on the front face. The shaft rises from a square plinth on a single-stepped base.
The inscription is in painted lead lettering on the polished smooth front face of the plinth and reads: TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN HONOURED MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF THIS VILLAGE/ WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 – 1918/ (NAMES)/ THEY DIED THAT WE MIGHT LIVE.
The Second World War names have been added on a plaque at the base of the shaft preceded by 1939 – 1945.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was unveiled at Horndon on the Hill on 5 December 1920 by Col F Hilder MP. It commemorates 14 local servicemen who fell during the First World War.
Following the Second World War, a dedication was added to commemorate the 11 fallen of that conflict.
Work was undertaken to the memorial in 2014, following which it was re-dedicated by Branch Chaplin Rev S Blake.
Horndon on the Hill War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: a striking granite wheel-head cross;
* Group value: with the Church of St Peter and St Paul (Grade II).