This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.0158 / 55°0'56"N
Longitude: -2.1314 / 2°7'53"W
OS Eastings: 391693
OS Northings: 569036
OS Grid: NY916690
Mapcode National: GBR FBKF.BS
Mapcode Global: WHB25.7694
Entry Name: Wall War Memorial
Listing Date: 6 February 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1441361
Location: Wall, Northumberland, NE46
Civil Parish: Wall
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: St Oswald-in-Lee with Bingfield
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
First World War memorial, unveiled 1919, with later additions for the Second World War.
The memorial stands on the green in the centre of the village. It takes the form of a wheel-head cross in the Celtic style, in Robin Hood stone. The front face of the cross head is ornamented with five hemispherical bosses, whilst at the foot of the cross shaft a crown and other insignia are carved in low relief. The moulded foot of the cross shaft stands on a plinth, square on plan, formed of coursed, rusticated, stone blocks. The plinth stands on a stepped base.
Four granite plaques, one on each face of the plinth, record the inscriptions and names. On the front face the principal dedicatory inscription reads ERECTED/ BY PUBLIC SUBSCRIPTION IN/ HONOUR OF THE MEN OF WALL/ AND DISTRICT, WHO SERVED IN/ THE GREAT WAR 1914 – 1919,/ OF WHOM THE FOLLOWING NINE/ GAVE THEIR LIVES, (NAMES)/ THEY JEOPARDISED THEIR LIVES/ UNTO THE DEATH. The other commemorated names are recorded on the remaining three plaques.
At the foot of the front face of the plinth the dates 1939 – 1945 are incised below the granite plaque, with the two Second World War names recorded below. The memorial is enclosed by a square kerb of stone from Black Pasture Quarry, which carries wrought iron railings.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 27 February 2017.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Wall as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. A poll of residents resulted in the choice of a monument rather than a new hall for the village.
The memorial was unveiled on 18 October 1919 by Lt-Col Riddell DSO and dedicated by the vicar, Reverend WW London, with the assistance of Mr Hodgson, the Wesleyan Minister. The memorial commemorates nine local servicemen who died in the First World War, and 42 who served and returned. It was built by Mr RB Aves of Hexham, who was involved in a number of war memorial schemes in the region including Humshaugh, Hallington, and High Spen (all Grade II-listed). The memorial cost £236, the enclosing railings were £60: the lead lettering brought the total cost to £322, raised by public subscription. Following the Second World War the names of two men who died in that conflict were added.
Wall War Memorial, which stands on the green, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: an imposing memorial cross in the Celtic style;
* Group value: with a number of Grade II-listed heritage assets around The Green.
Other nearby listed buildings