History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Guidepost 25m NE of St Keverne Beacon

A Grade II Listed Building in St. Keverne, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.0375 / 50°2'15"N

Longitude: -5.1104 / 5°6'37"W

OS Eastings: 177367

OS Northings: 19899

OS Grid: SW773198

Mapcode National: GBR ZB.DQS2

Mapcode Global: FRA 085X.BVH

Entry Name: Guidepost 25m NE of St Keverne Beacon

Listing Date: 20 January 2017

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1441425

Location: St. Keverne, Cornwall, TR12

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: St. Keverne

Locality: St Keverne

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: St Keverne

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Saint Keverne

Summary

A stone guidepost dated 1838.

Description

Guidepost dated 1838, situated at a junction between the B3293, B3294 and an unclassified road in St Keverne.

The guidepost is a stone, rectangular structure with a flat top. The S face is inscribed with black painted lettering reading GWENTER/ST/KEVERNE whilst the W face is inscribed with COVERACK. These two faces also have a representation of a pointing hand both above and below the lettering on the S face, and below the lettering on the W face. The date 1838 is also inscribed below the pointing hand on the S face, with a further un-painted Ordnance Survey benchmark inscribed at the bottom of the stone.

History

There are three surviving guideposts on the Lizard peninsula, all of which are located in the St Keverne parish. The guideposts were an invaluable tool for those navigating the area in the C18 and C19. Their erection was brought about by a Highway Sessions in 1697 which instructed ‘direction stones or posts’ to be set up at ‘cross highways’. The other two guideposts in the St Keverne parish date from the early to mid-C19; all three guideposts are of a similar style with a hand and pointing finger. The guidepost dates from 1838 and appears to be in its original location.

The guidepost was surveyed in 2010 and at that time the post was found to be in poor condition, with the text unreadable; the guidepost was also leaning severely and had possibly been struck by a vehicle. In 2016, the guidepost was set upright and repainted.

Reasons for Listing

The guidepost located 25m NE of St Keverne Beacon, on the junction of B3293, B3294 and an unclassified road to Gwenter, St Keverne, Cornwall is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as a pre-1840 guidepost used to direct travellers around the landscape;
* Group value: as one of a group of three guideposts on the Lizard peninsula of a similar style and date (the other two are listed at Grade II);
* Intactness: the guidepost survives intact and in its original location.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.