This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3652 / 51°21'54"N
Longitude: -0.6652 / 0°39'54"W
OS Eastings: 493023
OS Northings: 163751
OS Grid: SU930637
Mapcode National: GBR F9W.6NM
Mapcode Global: VHFTT.FY69
Entry Name: Windlesham War Memorial
Location: Windlesham, Surrey Heath, Surrey, GU20
District: Surrey Heath
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Listing Date: 13 February 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1441513
First World War memorial, unveiled on 25 April 1920, with further names added after the Second World War and for later conflicts.
MATERIALS: rough-hewn granite cross on a York stone base.
DESCRIPTION: Windlesham War Memorial is located in the churchyard of the Church of St John the Baptist on Church Road in Windlesham, Surrey.
It consists of a wheel-head cross on a three-stepped plinth. The whole is set upon a square base. The inscription is formed in lead lettering. The main dedication is located on the W (front) face of the top step of the plinth and reads TO THE MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF THIS PARISH/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR/ THEIR KING AND COUNTRY/ IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 – 1919. The other steps below carry the names of the fallen.
The S face of the top step of the plinth reads ALSO THE/ SECOND WORLD WAR/ 1939 – 1945/ (NAME). The Second World War names continue on the lower steps of that face.
The N face of the top step later had the following dedication added for subsequent conflicts ALSO THOSE/ WHO DIED SERVING/ THEIR COUNTRY/ IN CONFLICTS AFTER 1945. The step below this reads AFGHANISTAN 2001 – 2014/ (NAME).
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at Windlesham as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
The memorial was dedicated on 25 April 1920 by Dr Randolph, Bishop Suffragan of Guildford, and unveiled by Lady Hermione Ellenborough of Windlesham Court. The masons were W Wheeler Ltd, London. The memorial commemorates 48 local servicemen who fell during the First World War.
Following the Second World War, a dedication was added to commemorate the 20 fallen of that conflict.
In 2015 the memorial was conserved and one name was added for a post-1945 conflict with the help of grant aid from War Memorials Trust.
Windlesham War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20 and C21;
* Architectural interest: a simple yet dignified granite wheel-head cross;
* Group value: with the Church of St John the Baptist (Grade II).
Other nearby listed buildings