This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.753 / 51°45'10"N
Longitude: -1.2371 / 1°14'13"W
OS Eastings: 452758
OS Northings: 206309
OS Grid: SP527063
Mapcode National: GBR 8Z5.02H
Mapcode Global: VHCXV.H6VH
Entry Name: St Clement's, Oxford War Memorial
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX4
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Locality: St Clement's
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Listing Date: 14 February 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1441516
First World War memorial unveiled on 4 April 1921.
MATERIALS: Portland stone.
DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands in the burial ground of St Clement’s Parish Church. This memorial is approximately 4.5 metres high and comprises a Latin cross surmounting a tapering octagonal column with a carved collar. This stands on an octagonal stone pedestal which is carved with broach stops. This in turn stands on a three-stepped octagonal base.
The inscription is in ornate medieval-style lead lettering on the front side of the pedestal (which faces west towards the church), and a further line is on the riser of the top step immediately below.
On the pedestal the inscription reads: TO THE GLORY / OF GOD / AND IN HONOURED / AND GRATEFUL / MEMORY OF THE / 108 MEN FROM / ST CLEMENTS / WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR THEIR COUNTRY / IN THE GREAT WAR / 1914 – 1918.
On the riser of step below: THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at St Clement’s, Oxford as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
In 1921 Mrs Herbert Morrell of Headington Hill Hall (which lies in St Clement’s parish) gave some land to the south of St Clement's Church for an extension to its burial ground, and the war memorial was erected here. The memorial was erected at a cost of £192 by Messrs Axtell and Son of Oxford (who erected many Oxfordshire war memorials). The money was mostly raised by the parishioners of St Clement’s.
At a ceremony on 4 April 1921 the memorial was unveiled by Mrs Herbert Morrell and dedicated by the Bishop of Oxford. A scroll inside the church unveiled on the same day lists the 108 men of the parish who died.
There are no later additions or changes to this memorial.
St Clement's, Oxford War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: an ornate and striking Portland stone Latin cross with fine lettering;
* Group value: with St Clement's Church (Grade II*).
Other nearby listed buildings