This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3517 / 51°21'5"N
Longitude: -0.665 / 0°39'54"W
OS Eastings: 493062
OS Northings: 162244
OS Grid: SU930622
Mapcode National: GBR FB2.6NV
Mapcode Global: VHFV0.F995
Entry Name: Lightwater War Memorial
Listing Date: 13 February 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1441517
Location: Windlesham, Surrey Heath, Surrey, GU18
District: Surrey Heath
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Lightwater
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
First World War memorial with further names added after the Second World War.
MATERIALS: rough-hewn Cornish granite.
DESCRIPTION: Lightwater War Memorial is located on a green at the junction of All Saints Road and Guildford Road in Lightwater, Surrey.
It is in the form of a wheel-head cross on a square tapering shaft with a Sword of Sacrifice carved in relief. It stands on a tapered square pedestal with a smooth polished panel which carries the lead inscriptions. The whole sits on a single-stepped square base.
The First World War dedication reads IN MEMORY/ OF THE MEN OF LIGHTWATER/ WHO FOUGHT FOR LIBERTY IN THE/ GREAT WAR 1914 – 1919/ (NAMES).
On the opposite face is SECOND WORLD WAR/ 1939 – 1945/ (NAMES).
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at Lightwater as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
The land was donated by Eliza Emily Hunter of Ealing and William Hoptroff of Heatherleigh, Lightwater in February 1920. The memorial commemorates 26 local servicemen who fell during the First World War. Following the Second World War, a dedication was added to commemorate the 22 fallen of that conflict.
The landscaping around the memorial was changed around 1934 and again in 1961. In 2015 the memorial was conserved with the help of grant aid from War Memorials Trust.
Lightwater War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: an elegant Cornish granite wheel-head cross with carved decorative details.
Other nearby listed buildings