This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4391 / 51°26'20"N
Longitude: 0.3847 / 0°23'4"E
OS Eastings: 565836
OS Northings: 173820
OS Grid: TQ658738
Mapcode National: GBR NML.N2Z
Mapcode Global: VHJLK.M363
Entry Name: Milton War Memorial
Listing Date: 10 February 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1441607
Location: Gravesham, Kent, DA12
Civil Parish: Non Civil Parish
District Council Ward: Riverside
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Milton St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
First World War memorial unveiled on 8 April 1923.
MATERIALS: Portland stone.
DESCRIPTION: Milton War Memorial is located within the churchyard of St Peter’s and St Paul's Church.
It consists of a Latin cross on a square shaft with moulded base. The shaft rises from a square plinth on a moulded base. The plinth has a raised panel on each face which are incised with the names of the fallen.
The moulded shaft base has raised lettering which reads TO THE GLORY OF GOD. The dedication continues on the moulded base AND IN HONOUR OF THOSE WHO GAVE/ THEIR LIVES FOR LIBERTY AND JUSTICE/ IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 – 1918.
The memorial is set upon a raised platform of York stone crazy paving which is original to the erection of the memorial.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at Milton as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
It commemorates 116 local servicemen who died during the First World War. It was created by Messrs Swift Bros and unveiled on 8 April 1923 by Councillor W E Thomas. The dedication was performed by Rev G W Mennie.
Milton War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: a simple yet dignified Latin cross in Portland stone;
* Group value: with the Church of St Peter and St Paul (Grade II*).
Other nearby listed buildings