This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.6938 / 54°41'37"N
Longitude: -1.2152 / 1°12'54"W
OS Eastings: 450682
OS Northings: 533477
OS Grid: NZ506334
Mapcode National: GBR MGY5.Q6
Mapcode Global: WHD6F.99K0
Entry Name: War memorial outside St Oswald's Church, West Hartlepool
Location: Hartlepool, TS24
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Listing Date: 6 February 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1441611
First World War memorial, unveiled 1920, designed by Messrs Hicks and Charlesworth.
The memorial stands outside the Church of St Oswald (Grade II-listed), to the S side overlooking Brougham Terrace. It takes the form of a hooded crucifixion in Windy Nook stone, nearly 5m tall. The cross shaft rises from the corniced top of an octagonal plinth. The cornice is decorated with a frieze of carved rosettes. The plinth stands on a three-stepped base.
The principal dedicatory inscription is incised to the front face of the cross shaft, at the foot, reading TO THE/ GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN LOVING/ AND GRATEFUL/ MEMORY OF/ THOSE WHO FOR/ COUNTRY/ FOR HOME AND/ FOR US GAVE/ THEIR LIVES/ IN THE/ GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1919. The commemorated names are carved on the eight faces of the plinth.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 22 February 2017.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised outside St Oswald’s Church, West Hartlepool, as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. The memorial was unveiled on 1 January 1920 by Captain W Gray and dedicated by the Bishop of Jarrow. It commemorates 152 local servicemen who died in the First World War. The memorial cost £358 0s 10d, designed by Messrs Hicks and Charlesworth, architects, of Newcastle.
The war memorial which stands outside St Oswald’s Church, West Hartlepool, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the First World War;
* Architectural interest: a tall and imposing Calvary;
* Group value: with the Church of St Oswald (Grade II).
Other nearby listed buildings