This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5045 / 51°30'16"N
Longitude: -0.1124 / 0°6'44"W
OS Eastings: 531105
OS Northings: 180089
OS Grid: TQ311800
Mapcode National: GBR LG.XV
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.0FFZ
Entry Name: War memorial at St John's Church, Waterloo
Listing Date: 27 February 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1441652
Location: Lambeth, London, SE1
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Waterloo St John with St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
First World War memorial in the form of a Calvary cross mounted on a plinth.
The memorial consists of a wooden cross, replete with a bronze figure of Christ at Calvary and an INRI scroll. The cross stands on a limestone plinth, splayed at both ends. The cornice bears the following inscriptions: on the front the initials A.M.D.G (an abbreviation of the Latin motto Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam - 'For the greater glory of God'), on the right GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN, on the back THAN THIS: THAT A MAN LAY and on the left DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS. Jutting out at the centre of the cornice on the front face is a stone section bearing a bronze plaque which reads ERECTED BY THE NURSING STAFF / IN HONOUR OF THE PATIENTS WHO DIED / IN THE KING GEORGE HOSPITAL / HM STATIONERY OFFICE STAMFORD STREET / USED AS A MILITARY HOSPITAL DURING THE WAR.
The front of the main body of the plinth is inscribed IN MEMORY OF THOSE / WHO HAVE GIVEN THEIR / LIVES FOR THEIR COUNTRY / THE NAMES OF THOSE / WHO DIED IN THE / KING GEORGE HOSPITAL / ARE INSCRIBED ON A / PARCHMENT ROLL PLACED / WITH THE CHURCH RECORDS / THE NAMES OF THOSE WHO / WERE PARISHIONERS OF / ST JOHN'S CHURCH ARE / INSCRIBED ON THE THREE / REMAINING PANELS OF / THIS MEMORIAL. Above this, in larger type, it reads ETERNAL REST GRANT, with the inscription continuing on the right TO THEM O LORD AND, the back MAY PERPETUAL LIGHT and the left SHINE UPON THEM. The other three faces of the plinth bear the names of the Fallen on concave sections. The whole structure stands on a two-step base.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 3 March 2017.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across the country. One such memorial was raised in Waterloo outside St John's Church as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community. It was installed in late 1919, replacing a temporary wooden memorial. The bronze sculpture of Christ is believed to have been made in Paris (artist unknown).
The war memorial at the Church of St John is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the First World War;
* Group value: with the Grade II*-listed Church of St John, as well as various other listed structures in the church grounds.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings